Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just what is allowed in Rants and Raves

I thought being a part of this community, and following the rules as posted, that this section of copytechnet, was the place to post any subject not related to technical questions or manual requests. It seems that posting your view about religion is not acceptable. What I posted in my view was not offensive in any way, but was removed from the Rants and raves section within 4 minutes.

I have tried to contact a modorator but have had no answer yet.

is this section for anything goes subject wise or not?

if not what are the limitations on subject matter?

I will obey the rules, but if I have been censured just because someone does not agree with what I have posted then that is wrong.

Please give me some guidance on this matter.
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs down

Your useless religious drivel is not appropriate for this forum. Because if you post about how wonderful Jesus is, then we'll have to listen to all those who think that Allah is God. It's better not to have any religious nonsense than to have to listen to that.

Didn't your mother ever tell you that 2 subjects you shouldn't talk about in public are religion and politics.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    Didn't your mother ever tell you that 2 subjects you shouldn't talk about in public are religion and politics.
    Let me add another: Sports.

Let's be realistic: When talking about religion, politics and sports, everyone has his/her own ideas about the subject, and no matter how you try, you'll almost sure never be able to change their minds. A catholic will not turn to islam, a republican will not turn into a democrat and a soccer fan won't stop supporting his team just because of a forum post. 99,9% of the times it will just turn into a bad flamewar, and that's most likely the only reason your post was erased.

Well, I'm an atheist and my wife is catholic. We've been married for almost 5 years now and I was never able to get her to see the light - and the same goes for her in relation to me. So, if two married people can't change eachother's point of view in a 5-year relationship, your (or anyone else's) forum posts will do squat.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I agree with what has been stated. Going down that road will just cause things to be said that we do not want to get started. Go back about a year and a half ago and see some of the things that were written about politics. It got ugly and people take religion more seriously.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Religion is a difficult thing to talk about because it is something very emotional. It affects every aspect of a persons life and is the basis upon which values are based. Marriages have dissolved, families no longer communicate with each other, and wars have been started/are being fought, because of it. I disagree with the fact that a discussion can't change what a person believes. If their belief is based on facts and that have been proven to them or they are completely closed minded, then yes I agree a discussion cannot change them. If they are open to listen to another person explain why they believe they way they do and the other person has valid reasons and proof, I believe a person can change. Some people are misinformed or simply believe because its what their parents believe. If you just want to say, "I love Jesus" get a bumper sticker. If you want to argue beliefs, go to a religious forum where such topics are discussed. If you have questions or just want to discuss beliefs, not argue or bash other religions (religious intolerance is wrong), I will answer private messages on the topic. I don't believe that the copytechnet forum, in its public form, is the appropriate place for religious discussions or comments.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I disagree with the fact that a discussion can't change what a person believes.
    I didn't say that it never does. I just said that 99,9% of the times it doesn't.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Jesus is coming...
    Look busy.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Of course there should be room for INTELLIGENT discussion here. The problem is defining what is intelligent, fact, and fiction. To wit:

Jesus is lord.
    Obama is an idiot.
    ...and the Saint's kick butt.

The problem is that anybody can say something different, and very few people offer anything other than their own personal whining and opinions to back it up, so here goes:

The Bible is the most well documented book in history. Archaeologist now use it to make new "discoveries"

This administration is Carter V2.0 - it didn't work then, its working worse now.

After earning their "S" back, the "ain'ts" have a record that speaks for itself.

Lets see if this survives.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Since the majority of copiers are Japanese should we not all be converting to Shinto/Buddhism?
    If you are going to pray for devine intervention to get a copier working again it would help if you direct your request to the appropriate god.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    Your useless religious drivel is not appropriate for this forum. Because if you post about how wonderful Jesus is, then we'll have to listen to all those who think that Allah is God. It's better not to have any religious nonsense than to have to listen to that.

I must admit, I like to have a serious discussion now and then, but I see that the lowest common denominator in humanity seems to come out in you. As a moderator, all you had to do was PM me privately and say the subject was not appropriate for this site, and I would have been ok about it. Also you removing my rep power does not mean shit to me. it just goes to show how petty you are.

By the way, as you know I am a christian, but beware of mentioning my mother. She's a practising witch and you don't want a case of galloping genital warts do you She can send you a manual on how to do it if you want.

So never mind I will keep all future subjects safe ones for you. That way you can save your clever repartee for when you next talk to yourself
    Last edited by Morlock49; 11-13-2009 at 03:11 AM.
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker