Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Murphy's Law on Copiers

Murphy's Law on Copiers

This is one most (if not all) of you will relate with. Some rules we all learn when repairing the machines and dealing with customers.

- When a loose screw falls to the ground, it will always be half-an-inch farther that what you can reach with your magnetized screwdriver tip

This one ocurred to me yesterday when I was on my knees fishing screws from under a machine I was servicing.

What's with you, guys? Let's write a collective book!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Here is 3 for the list.

If you say a cust's name while at the shop, they will call in.

If a cust tries out the machine you just got finished working on while your still in the copier room, it will break, again.

A 30 min service call will take 3 hours.

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Murphy's Law on Copiers

The copier fits perfectly in the spot the customer has made, not more than 2 inches clearance on all sides, and the shelf above it lets you almost open the DF.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    If the customer brings up another problem as you're on the way out the door, it will take 3 times as long as the problem they actually called for.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Murphy's Law on Copiers

The copier fits perfectly in the spot the customer has made, not more than 2 inches clearance on all sides, and the shelf above it lets you almost open the DF.
    Try fixing one in a closet in the middle of a main walkway in a bail bond office of a major city, oh and I didn't mention the fact that there was no light in the closet. Not enough room to work in the closet either. I had to pull the machine into the walkway to turn it around. I had to do a PM and no place to put all the parts except in the walkway. Most of the people in there needed to be in jail. Not the kind of room you want to bend over to pick up anything up in(whether you're a guy or a girl).
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

mjarbar
    How about the fact that if you lose a screw down the back of a machine it will require you to take off all the main boards and power supply to retrieve it.

Actually how about copier roulette, just like Russian roulette but will the copier work if you switch it on with the screw still down the back or will it be sparks and smoke!!!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Murphy's Law on Copiers

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent64
    If a cust tries out the machine you just got finished working on while your still in the copier room, it will break, again.
    That's why when I finish servicing a copier and the operator asks "Can I try it?", I answer most of the times "Sure, just give me a 5 minute head start!"

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar
    Actually how about copier roulette, just like Russian roulette but will the copier work if you switch it on with the screw still down the back or will it be sparks and smoke!!!
    I usually check if there's any horizontal board nearby where it might be resting. If there isn't, I just give the machine a good shake (in case it's sitting on a vertical-mounted board) to make the screw fall down and then, if I can't still pick it up, I just cross my fingers and turn it on!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The further you have to drive, the more likely you forgot something.

The more the boss raves about the new hire, the bigger a loser he will be.

If the customer says he does not like the copier, you will never be done fixing it.

Assholes get the problem machines.

Really nice people, make you feel bad you could not fix it.

And remember, that piece of crap machine you worked on once when someone was out, will break every time you do not have any thing else to do now.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Murphy's Law on Copiers

When ever you tell the customer that the problem is an easy fix and just an operator setting.

You go to show the customer how to fix the problem and it ends up with the machine in a thousand pieces.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Murphy's Law on Copiers

The chance a customer will want a full technical explanation of what you did is inversely proportional to the chance the customer is capable of understanding it.
    73 DE W5SSJ