Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Happy Turkey Day!

Happy Turkey Day!

...at least for everybody in the States.
    73 DE W5SSJ

OMD-227
    The Mrs and I are booked in to an American Diner tonight here in Melbourne, which goes totally nuts for the Thanksgiving celebration. Looking forward to some good food..... especially the Pecan Pie I've seen on the menu!
    Been doing the Thanksgiving dinner at this American Diner for several years now. Its really good. I'll give one thing to the Americans..... They certainly know how to cook a decent meal on Thanksgiving!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The thing now is to deep fry a turkey. I will do one tomorrow, outside. Also the spiral sliced ham, stuffing, rolls, biscuits, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans,pumpkin, apple and pecan pies, chocolate cookie sheet cake, and cranberry sauce. Probably some things I am forgetting, but you get it. Be safe everyone.
    This is more than a holiday, it is the start of the American capitalist buying frenzy. More money will be spent on Friday than most countries use to run themselves all year.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    The Mrs and I are booked in to an American Diner tonight here in Melbourne, which goes totally nuts for the Thanksgiving celebration. Looking forward to some good food..... especially the Pecan Pie I've seen on the menu!
    Been doing the Thanksgiving dinner at this American Diner for several years now. Its really good. I'll give one thing to the Americans..... They certainly know how to cook a decent meal on Thanksgiving!

By the way, what kind of food do they serve in an American restaurant? I would assume hot dogs and hamburgers, but what else? We have Outback steakhouse which claims to be an Australian restaurant. How close are they, or have you ever heard of them? .
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Happy Turkey Day!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    I'll give one thing to the Americans..... They certainly know how to cook a decent meal on Thanksgiving!
    You've never been to my sister-in-law's house, have you ever seen someone try to boil a turkey??

Turkey day in OZ??

LOL....american hot dogs are a real hard comodity to find in OZ. They do have corn dogs...but a good vienna beef dog , no way!....I was there over a year in Queensland and in Palmerston North(New Zealand) and never did find a decent hot dog or hamburger. The local Burger joints are run by chinese and the all put beets and shredded carrot/lettuce on the hamburgers. The Kiwiws love em!. Beets may very well be good for you....but something about pink/purple juice on a burger bun just seems to ruin it for me. UGH! Like that horrid vegimite stuff that all brittish providences seem to love so much...Put that soy /beef base black goop on my table on turkey day and I will shoot you!!

No Outback steak house

I would assume hot dogs and hamburgers, but what else? We have Outback steakhouse which claims to be an Australian restaurant. How close are they, or have you ever heard of them? .[/QUOTE]

And No....there are no "Outback" steak houses in OZ. That is an american chain and Ozzies do not deep fry a "bloomin onion"....LOL

Sausies and chips....thats more the ticket for them.

Happy Turkey Day!

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    We have Outback steakhouse which claims to be an Australian restaurant. How close are they, or have you ever heard of them? .
    My guess is that they are about as Australian as Olive Garden is Italian, NOT AT ALL.

OMD-227
    I'd say that the name 'outback steakhouse' is nothing more than a sales pitch. Damn good food down here, we generally dont need to go overboard with the stereo-typical names.

The American Diner I visit is actually pretty good. It is setup just like 'Happy Days' Diner, with all the American music culture pictures and records on the walls and a mini juke box on each table.

Everything that is either fried or what I call 'Heart attack on a plate' is served with a friendly American accent.

There is not many genuine American food places here, that have dedicated themselves to being a proper 'Diner'. There is the obvious Macca's and Burger King on every corner too, but that is just fast food. The Diner I go to is a proper setup.

Still cant beat a good Aussie Barbeque though!!

Do they put beets on the burgers there at your "american diner' ?? Tell em to hold the mayo, only put pickles,ketchup,mustard and lettuce...slice of cheese optional. Then it will be an american "classic" burger. Even burger chains here like "Red Robin" do not put beets on em. Everything else tho!!