Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How the hell do you cope?

I'm tired of freezing my butt off - Mississippi saw over 72 hours below freezing - we're just not set up to deal with that.

So much for global warming.

Ever notice when Al Gore gives a speech about polar ice caps melting its always in the middle of a frickin blizzard. And he never mentions the ice caps have also been shrinking on Mars. Hmmm... definately man made there. Makes you wonder how much money he's making off this.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Middle of December the one day it was around -30C and the wind made it around -45C. Those days are special, some times the van is slow to start up even when the block heater is plugged in. On those days the work jacket is hung up and the big Tough Duck outdoor work jacket comes out and on short calls the van just gets left running. You get used to it after a while.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Middle of December the one day it was around -30C and the wind made it around -45C. Those days are special, some times the van is slow to start up even when the block heater is plugged in. On those days the work jacket is hung up and the big Tough Duck outdoor work jacket comes out and on short calls the van just gets left running. You get used to it after a while.
    You can probably replace "used to it" with "numb"...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Sunny and 62F today. I broke out the Hawaiian shirt. I love winter in the Pineland.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Sunny and 62F today. I broke out the Hawaiian shirt. I love winter in the Pineland.
    You make me sick. Last night was the first time this year the temp didn't drop (or stay) below freezing - a lot of my accounts have been closed for days because of all the water main breaks. We can't handle that kind of cold down here
    73 DE W5SSJ

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    You make me sick. Last night was the first time this year the temp didn't drop (or stay) below freezing - a lot of my accounts have been closed for days because of all the water main breaks. We can't handle that kind of cold down here
    It would seem your state has a lot of "water" related problems. If it isn't a hurricane, it is the river overflows. Now it seems your pipes cannot handle that too?

I think God is sendin you a message that its time to move.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Nah - I used to live in New Jersey. Life gets better the further south you go... or maybe its just the further you get from New York City.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Middle of December the one day it was around -30C and the wind made it around -45C. ........ On those days the work jacket is hung up and the big Tough Duck outdoor work jacket comes out ........... You get used to it after a while.
    How long does it take you to warm your hands up to the point where you can feel the screwdriver your holding?
    Its 34 deg C (98 f) in Brisbane today but only 56% humidity so your not continually blinking the sweat out of your eyes, great beer drinking weather!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    How long does it take you to warm your hands up to the point where you can feel the screwdriver your holding?
    Its 34 deg C (98 f) in Brisbane today but only 56% humidity so your not continually blinking the sweat out of your eyes, great beer drinking weather!
    I forget what it is, at -45 your skin freezes in like 3 minutes or something. Ive been stupid trying to tie-strap a chunk of cardboard to the front of my van before and had to work with no gloves and yea after doing a bit of work for a short time you can hardly feel your hands for like 10 minutes The big thing is you just dress for it.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Service Manager 100+ Posts Claudio's Avatar
    Around here in the L.A. area, this last week it's been so cold, I had to throw on a jacket