Service Manager 250+ Posts
    I could not resist.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Forest Gump.

Who said he was dumb?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    IDIOTS

IDIOTS

You can eat crap once in a while and be ok, but every container has its limit. Eventually it needs to be emptied in order to continue working. Better to empty it here with friends who understand than to explode on a customer. That's my 2 cents about it anyway.

Shrek: "Better out than in, I always say."
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Well said! One day we will be able to sue for the damage all the abuse has caused....LOL....

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    I agree with showing them. Had a customer that had been beating a machine into the ground and complained it was a problem machine when in reality it was running at more than its monthly max... which as we know is not realistic and why they also state a optimum running range. Well this guy calls again complaing that the bypass jammed every time. I bring him to the machine and point at the pen in the bypass opening and ask him if he notices anything. He was far more cooperative after that. Actually not a bad customer, he just had to understand the machine has limits and every customer needs to do there part if they want a machine that does its best.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    That only works if your "employer" has the balls to stand behind you....and few of them do. It's bad enough having to take crap from some fool that does not have enough mechanical ability to open a bottle of anacin (thus the office job) but usually you get both barrels when you get back to the office....sad...but true..

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I would guess things are different from one branch to another and one dealer to another.

But generally, it is not so much that I am ignorant to my customers. I certainly do not view it as such. Use tact, but at the same time, you need to point out to the customer whenever they are in the wrong. I do not believe in that saying "The customer is always right". If the customer is misusing a product, it is not our responsibility to make the product work for that customer. It is our responsibility to educate the customer to properly use the product, and sometimes that takes a firm stand against being abused by the customer.

It is a fine line of course. Make sure of the facts before going of on a tangent. One co-worker who is a complete moron and cannot fix anything with any competence has on several occasions crossed that fine line. Unfortunate that we are on a hiring freeze...I am getting tired of fixing his screwups, both with the so called repair of the machine, and to formally apologize to the customer he insulted.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar

Wink

I believe, that for the sake of productivity, alone, we're taught to think that more visits to a customer is bad. But in actuality, taking care of all problems, no matter how slight, is keeping your "foot in the door". Customers don't, or rarely, care how often they see you. And if it's positive, it keeps them loyal. Next time you're dealing with a customer who can't add toner, or staples, without wrecking the joint; try offering to do it for them. Tell them to just place a fake "jamming" call, when they need to add supplies, and go take care of them. It's extra driving, etc. But these people will stay with you, and not shop around when it's time to upgrade. Ask your service manager to implement a customer satisfaction survey, and these "pain in the asses" will show the boss what really matters to the bottom line.
    Kevin900

IDIOTS

Quote Originally Posted by glewisme View Post
    I can't stand customer who think their SH doesn't stink.The GD morons cause 95% of the issues themselves and then insist it's a lemon and want it replaced. I wish I could tell them it's an id10t code,or better yet fire my foot up their ass. I swear the higher the education level the dumber they are. I swear they teach the common sense right out of Doctors,lawyers,teachers etc.....
    Come the revolution customers will not be allowed to buy a copier until they pass an IQ test............customers with out parking facilities will have to bring their copier to our workshop for service........... and salesmen that quote motivational garbage at you will be first up against the wall.......
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    On the subject of customer abuse; that is so easy to diffuse. "There's no need to scold me" or "I see, I'm on it" usually work. Or remind them that it's a machine, no need to take it personal, usually work. Calm, measured replies will always work better than flipping out. Another tactic I use is simply acting like I didn't hear a customer's snide comment. Non-reactive. And before you leave, always check their supplies inventory. Don't just tell them what they need, but phone it in for them. They'll appreciate it, and it's probly faster for you to deal with your supply department, then for the customer.
    Kevin900

IDIOTS

I believe, that for the sake of productivity, alone, we're taught to think that more visits to a customer is bad. But in actuality, taking care of all problems, no matter how slight, is keeping your "foot in the door". Customers don't, or rarely, care how often they see you. And if it's positive, it keeps them loyal. Next time you're dealing with a customer who can't add toner, or staples, without wrecking the joint; try offering to do it for them. Tell them to just place a fake "jamming" call, when they need to add supplies, and go take care of them. It's extra driving, etc. But these people will stay with you, and not shop around when it's time to upgrade. Ask your service manager to implement a customer satisfaction survey, and these "pain in the asses" will show the boss what really matters to the bottom line.
    I totally agree. I convinced customers that regular monthly cleanings would save them 15-20% a year in repairs and downtime. A big thing that helps is actually listening to the customer and their problem. I've seen a lot of techs who dismiss what they're saying and not even consider it. Asking them to show you the problem, then standing back and watching what they do sometimes reveals things they're doing wrong. Not being condescending, but genuinely concerned about them usually improves things. A positive attitude (although sometimes it's hard to maintain it), helps too. However, there are some people that you can never please.

When I had hostile people ranting at me with foul language, I used to say: "I can handle the problem, but not the foul language" or "ok...let's keep it professional". Some people are going to rant just because they've had a bad day, or because they are frustrated in a job they have no control of. Either way it is still better to vent your own stress and frustration here. I do a lot more tech support than repair these days as I work for a parts vendor. You would be surprised how many so-called "techs" are sent into the field with no knowledge whatsoever. I was asked by a client's "tech" this week for assistance in troubleshooting a pick-up problem. He told me, "there are these round metal things on the side that turn and then stop turning. When it turns, the gears turn, but then it stops. Is that suppose to happen? I mean what are those things, anyway?"

"Honey, those are motors, and yes they are supposed to turn and stop," I replied.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".