View Poll Results: How many brands do you fix?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll

34 13.88%

24 9.80%

33 13.47%

25 10.20%
  • 5+

129 52.65%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    We primarily do Samsung and Panasonic, but with the level of help I get on here and the time frame I get it in, I'm not afraid to at least take a look at something. I've learned a TON from this forum.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    i work for ricoh and do mostly networking, but get my hands on all sizes.
    manuals, a phone to call other techs, and some common sense make the job easier

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts angelntx's Avatar
    Canon, Ricoh, Konica Minolta and Kodak. Cpm 50 to 150.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts smiley's Avatar
    previosly on my 1st employer we work on canon,toshiba,konicaminolt,ricoh,kyoceramita,sharp and riso duplicator but now i just work in canon.
    there is no glory without sacrifice

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    LOL I am a one man service department and expected to fix >any thing< that handles paper. Has been that way with me for 15+ years that before that I was just a copier tech for around 10 years. You name it I have/had/can fix it or I do not charge for my labor to try to fix it which is all most never and can count on one hand the ones I couldn't figure out. LOL Just wish my pay would reflect my talents.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kwazimoto's Avatar
    we sell and service three brands of copiers,four brands of printers, wide format and riso.. yea it is alot of fun

Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar
    I service Ricoh And KM. But rarely anything under 45 Cpm. mostly print shop machines etc Ricoh Pro c900s KM pro C6500. Our machines tend to have every finisher possible on them as well, so plotmatics and other CBS equipment I am always being asked to look at. Don't mind really. have a great team of engineers helping out each other. Well at least try and help...

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Like fixthecopier, I have worked on just about everything.

Sure it can be scary, but I never walk in without a manual. And after 20 years, I haven't been totally stumped in a long time. Plus, I have the genius of all you guys & gals getting me through. A lot of it is attitude. Never give up (until it gets cost prohibitive).

I can hardly imagine what it was like at the beginning: walking in with no experience and no idea what to do, just the guts to walk in dumb and try something. I guess things haven't changed as much as I thought. =^..^=
    I have been sent to machine with out any information at all. spending the first few minuets cleaning the covers trying to find the power switch conveniently places on the back cover when the printer is pushed against the wall. silly yes but I did not want to bee seen trying to find the switch. i have been sent to some old cannons which have been kept over from old companies. I have no manuals for these and I have been in the position where I know the problem and how to fix it... just need to enter service... O how do I do that? *mad rush through contact list finding someone who knows*

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Started in 1974 , the beginning of the copier introduction into the business world. I still enjoy the mechanical aspects of equipment and have pretty much worked on everything that would be in an office environment. From offset presses, typewriters, mimeos and duplicators, shredders, folders, bundlers and tyers, labelers and tabbers, anything and everything that can copy/print/fold/ spindle and mutilate paper. From liquid and estat copiers to dry toner to date. Have been with Canon and Mita/Kyocera Mita the longest. But my all time favorites were the Addressograph Multigraph addressing machines that embossed metal plates,( think dog tags ), and the plate feeders to imprint the embossing on to what ever you were printing on. Up until the early 2000's Yale still used these machines to address their college newspaper. Gears and cams and levers everywhere, clanking and banging, fun stuff.
    The only difference between a professional and an amateur is time and money!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How many brands are you expected to be good at?

Re: How many brands are you expected to be good at?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Like fixthecopier, I have worked on just about everything.

Sure it can be scary, but I never walk in without a manual. And after 20 years, I haven't been totally stumped in a long time. Plus, I have the genius of all you guys & gals getting me through. A lot of it is attitude. Never give up (until it gets cost prohibitive).

I can hardly imagine what it was like at the beginning: walking in with no experience and no idea what to do, just the guts to walk in dumb and try something. I guess things haven't changed as much as I thought. =^..^=
    Bolded portion above is the key right there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: How many brands are you expected to be good at?

ricoh,canon,kyocera,hp,sharp,lexmark (authorised dealer for all) and any other crap that comes in. The reason is "get your foot in the door and a chance to upgrade to one of ours" Which is why I dont mind occasionaly dropping a service or parts manual off to someone who find themselves in the same predicament.

oh I didnt say i was any good at any of them