View Poll Results: How many brands do you fix?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll

34 13.88%

24 9.80%

33 13.47%

25 10.20%
  • 5+

129 52.65%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    How many brands are you expected to be good at?

Post How many brands are you expected to be good at?

Just out of curiosity how many differnt brands are you expected to be good at?

Do you like having the chance to work on any brand of copier out there or do you prefear to stick with one brand?

For me i find it very frustrating being sent into a office on a machine ive never seen or have very little experience on or worse nobody to call for help.

The company i used to work for was basically a chop shop and would look at virtually any thing regardless of ability to get parts, support or even manuals. After spending a hour messing around with the machine and some times not being able to come up with a solution you then get the unpleasant task of telling them you don't know what is wrong. Many people then would be mad when you told them you had to bill at least half a hour for your time even though you did not fix the problem.

Any thoughts out there?
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    As I have stated before, I am an office equipment whore, I will do any brand for money. I also taught myself to work on shredders and plotters because they would call the shop and the shop would give me the ticket. Now when they call the shop, the shop just gives them my number and lets me book my own calls. I find it challenges me to stay sharp and exposes me to different styles of design.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Our main brand is Ricoh but also do kyocera,konica minolta, alot of HP now and we've just taken on canon with xerox in the pipeline!!!!!

AS mentioned you can go out and spend a while looking and not having a clue but at the end of the day, a copier is a copier......famous last words ha!!!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    All of them.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Like fixthecopier, I have worked on just about everything.

Sure it can be scary, but I never walk in without a manual. And after 20 years, I haven't been totally stumped in a long time. Plus, I have the genius of all you guys & gals getting me through. A lot of it is attitude. Never give up (until it gets cost prohibitive).

I can hardly imagine what it was like at the beginning: walking in with no experience and no idea what to do, just the guts to walk in dumb and try something. I guess things haven't changed as much as I thought. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It is very scary. I can remember the first time I worked on a color machine. There were techs in same company who refused to learn them. Service manuals are invaluable, but I've worked for very cheap bosses in times past who refused to buy them. This forum is an invaluable resource. Just being able to bounce your ideas about a problem off another tech helps. I wish I had this forum when I was a green tech or at least knew about it when it first came out. I remember having to learn things the hard way and in some cases I found out later I was on the right track, but gave up too soon. If it had not been for a few experienced tech buddy's in the beginning who encouraged and supported me, I probably would be doing something else right now. If you don't at least try you'll never learn anything. Sometimes we would bring a machine back to the shop and put in a loaner machine. We would work on it when all the techs came back to office (5-6 techs) so everyone had input and we could all learn the machine. We would lose money on that call, but everyone was familiar with it and the problem got solved in the end. There were mistakes and I remember at least once, we ended up replacing the customers machine. Their machine became our test/part machine. I was a green tech then (did a lot more watching the others than accomplishing anything), but I learned more there than any other field position I had.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Currently we sell Ricoh family and Samsung. Previously we have sold Minolta, KonicaMinolta, Royal Copystar, Canon, HP, Risograph and probably other ones I'm forgetting at the moment. We work on just about anything thrown at us (me) including duplicators, shredders, folders, off line collators, booklet makers, printers and those God awful $200 office store machines.

Once you get the process down it won't seem so bad working on machines you've never seen before. You'll get better at it the more you do it. If you're really a masochist you'll start looking at ones on the side that are old and you can't get parts for. As cheesy as it sounds, the best thing to go into an account like that is a good attitude. You can always let them know the score up front about parts availability, etc. to maybe ease their minds about the charges at the end. There is no point where you know it all, but I found that some time after 6-8 years of this line of work the pieces just kinda fell into place and I stopped having the anxiety of working on unfamiliar machines. Understanding the basic processes (charge, image writing, image development, transfer, fusing, cleaning) is the best place to start. I can't tell you how many times techs have called with an issue and I asked them if they've performed minimum call (cleaning, adjustments) and they haven't when that was all the machine needed.

Most times going in and talking to the key op who is frustrated is the best place to start. We don't just fix the machines, we fix the customers too. Keeping a cool head and being courteous to the customers really goes a long way most times.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Faxes, printers, wide format, copiers, most brands. also fix plotters, folders, central heating, electrics, plumbing
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

We only do Canon as our main line and Samsung as a back up, but we subcontract the odd Ricoh which I would like to take on myself
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm Ricoh direct, but I'm expected to fix anything I run across.
    73 DE W5SSJ