Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OMD-227
    I did the work experience program when I was 17. I went to a Canon dealer out in the country as my uncle was a manager there. I went out with the techs everyday, and can clearly remember carrying ALL the boxes, vac, toolbag and assorted items for each call. I actually enjoyed it and it lead me down this path into doing this as a career, so dont be too harsh on the poor kid.
    Now 16 years later, I have work experience kids with me sometimes. I make them do all the stuff I had to do.
    If they are cool and work hard, shout them a coffee or buy them lunch. If they have no interest and cant wait until the day is over, drive like a maniac, swear like a trooper and maybe 'forget' to leave them behind at a call.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    Have him separate that box of screws that you find in every shop into different categories; type, size. Perfect job for young eyes.Attachment 3504
    Kevin900

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    What should I do with the work experience kid

As a first test i would suggest to give him a ricoh 2232c fuser assy, tell him to disassemble it down to the last screw an reassemble it: Take the time he needs
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

work experience kid

1. Clean refurb covers

2. Inventory parts in stock room

3. Show him how to rebuild some fusers (the simple ones) or pick up asm's

4. If he does real good and seems sharp, give him a service manual, open to the removal parts section and sit him in front of a older model b/w printer (not a copier unless it a small simple one). Tell him to follow the instructions exactly and disassemble the printer (mark the pages of the parts you want him to remove). Tell him not to be rough, that if anything requires excessive force to remove he is either doing it wrong or there is another screw somewhere he has to remove. Either strip it for parts or when he's finished have him reassemble it in the same order, test it and see if it works. If it doesn't, teach him how to use the manual to troubleshoot the problem. Then have him disassemble it again (practice, practice is good), show him what has to be cleaned and how to replace the maintenance kit (will require a bit of supervision).

Reason: 1. All of these are things we end up having to do. 2. This is how I train new techs before I explain laser theory, so he will be learning what real techs do. 3. It will keep him busy and out of your hair for most of his visit. 4. When he puts it back together and powers it up or finally gets it working, he'll be hooked and he may end up being another tech. 5. You get a stripped printer for parts that you didn't have to waste the time doing if you decide not to get it reassembled. 6. If you teach him how to replace a maintenance kit during the early part of the week (if you have him that long), you can get him to refurb a couple of printers by the end of week ($$$ for the company).

I wish I had him for a week, I might actually get caught up. Have fun!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    if anything requires excessive force to remove he is either doing it wrong or there is another screw somewhere he has to remove.
    Still today, roughly 10 years since I began, I sometimes forget this simple rule. Last one happened in front of my boss. Ouch.

I began by setting up konicas 1212 and 1216. It was quite fun, actually! I used to allign them in a row and setting them up one by one.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

How about empying the workshop vacuum cleaner? and after he's done that he can perfect his tea making skills. White and one thanks.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Technician 250+ Posts
    Seems many of you forget what it is like to be a newbie. If the kid is not interested, does not mater what you have him/her do. If they want to kind of kick the tires - let them ride along with you to observe, maybe clean/change a few PF or DF rollers. If they want more, stick them with pulling parts/inventory so they get an idea of where things are and what they go to. Kid still there - time to learn installation unboxing and setup.

May just be me but it seems if you treat them like crap, that is what you will get - plus another person that thinks you are a jerk.

OMD-227
    Quote Originally Posted by costd View Post
    plus another person that thinks you are a jerk.
    I got too many as it is.... I dont need anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by neergish View Post
    I'm thinking of putting him to work figuring out how to fix the over toning issues with the Ricoh MP 4500's, any other ideas?
    Hit the junk room for a boat load of obsolete corona assemblies and have him string corona wires all day.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Put him on a Ricoh box and he won't come back the next day!! LOL
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.