Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar

What Car Would You Buy for Less Than 100K?

I was thinking about this today, like I do most days, and wondered what everyone else here would suggest.

So here's the set up... Either someone gives you any car or truck you want or money is no object, but it has to less than 100k and can be used for normal day to day use. That included work and family functions!

I am a car fan and an even larger Top Gear fab! I worked as a mechanic for the first 10 yrs out of HS and work on everything from Ford F100's to BMW 750iL's. There are cars and trucks I see everyday that I "want" and "would love to have". There's even a few that I see everyday that I might actually need. I just love cars, so the choices are really, really hard! Being a family guy though, I have to try and keep things in perspective and that can be the hardest part. Sure, I would love to have a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, but... taking my daughter to theater practice in this is just a little over kill. Not to mention showing up at a service call.

But a MazdaSpeed6 Grand Touring would be more like it!!

MazdaSpeed6GT.jpg

Although make it black please!

Why this car over all the others? Well I'm very familiar with the platform. Give a gander at my photo album and you will find that I'm a big fan of Ford Contour/Mondeo. Sad that car did not survive over here. Anyway! The Mazda 6 family took over were the Ford Contour left off. First year or so, it had the same enigne and subframe. Different trannies, which was a good thing. Actually, the trannies were the weakest link in the pre 2001 Mondeo family. The Auto (CD4E) and Manual (MTX-75) were plagued with all sorts of problems! The Mazda 6 fixed all that!

Over here, in America, the SRP for a 07 version is a little less than 20k. That's not too bad for a AWD, turbo 4 cylinder. I actually found two within 150 miles of were I live for just over 15k!

So what about you guys?

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I like Lotus, but if I had the bux I would love a Telsa.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

'68 Stingray
    73 DE W5SSJ

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    A 1970 LS6 454 Chevelle, Fastest production American mussel car made. With only 100grand to spend, I could not get one in mint condition. I know all about the Shelby Cobra, but that doesn't count as production run as there were only a little over 1200 made. The one I used to have but sold to pay for my first sons birth, was a 1967 Chevelle, 396 with 454 heads and crank, and a Holley 780 double pumper.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

'64 3.8 MK2 Jaguar with CWW and O/D
    I should never have sold mine.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I don't think I could ever part with my Yugo.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Hang on to that Yugo. Yogo far in this life

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Hell, 100k for a car? I wish I had 20k to buy one...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcopy View Post
    Hang on to that Yugo. Yogo far in this life
    When the Yugo was around (late '80s), we had a tech who went out and actually bought one.

That was bad enough, but when you considered the fact that he was about 6'3", and 320 pounds, it made for a strange sight.

He was easy to see coming, though; he spent a lot of time on 2 wheels (the driver's side, of course..)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

mjarbar
    2005 Ford Mustang with what I believe is called the Eleanor body kit, or the current cars being used in NCIS which I think is a Dodge but can't find out what one it is...