Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Red face How much money do you make?

I look online at places like job.com, salary.com, etc..and see the AVERAGE wage is like $40k per year. Some even higher.

I live in a very rural area but still don't make that. I've been doing this for 15 years and trained on 50cpm Color and the ir150, 6weeks school for that one (never understood why u'd make more for that but w/e).

I currently make $17.64/hr ~ $36k per year.

How much do you make?

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    simple, not enough

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I know that at my dealership that once you hit what seems to be a magical number of about $40k/year, raises seem to be harder and harder to get anything above 1 to 2% annually. Fortunately, we're all hourly, so if the call load is high enough (and it frequently is), overtime is fairly common.

It seems that more dealers are pushing a form of commission: bonuses paid for leads on contracts, supplies, etc... and print studies done at larger dealerships who are getting on the MPS bandwagon.

Looks as though more and more dealers are trying to get more sales through techs. After all, we're the ones the customers see every day, and have (hopefully) good relationships with.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Money?

Rob S

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Si@danwood's Avatar
    Shed loads!!! But contray to my nic i aint at Danwood anymore

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    We're supposed to get paid? I'll have to look into that.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    I get $65,000 a year as a field tech. But that includes commission, and I far surpass all the other techs in my company, due to my ninja customer service skillz. Note I spelled skills with a Z. Cause that's how I roll. Haven't gotten a raise in 3 years, but my commission is great, and improving every quarter. Got my customers right where I like them. They depend on me for every little thing. Most won't even install toner without calling me. And when I tell them it's upgrade time, they call our sales team , and usually allow me to pick out the model. Took years to build it up like that, and now I've been recession-proof thus far.
    Kevin900

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Must be nice, glad to hear at least someone is making good money. I guess your the one who throws the average off some .

I'm trying to move closer to family and have been going on some interviews. When I tell them how much I make you'd think I just slapped them in the face. They get uneasy and tell me that's more than most of their techs make or just can't go that high, or they could start me lower and possibly work back up to that. I had one guy tell me they can't go higher then $24k. I guess I'm stuck where I'm at unless I take a pay cut.

Oh, and salary.com, jobs.com, and glassdoor.com are full of crap.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Unfortunately, this isn't exactly a high paying profession.

A pet peeve... I remember 20 years when our service management made a big deal out of a $25 bonus. OK, back then it was, but they make the same big deal out of it today! Definitely better than nothing, but barely enough to cover lunch for a week.

Seems the only way to make good money is to specialize - high volume, color, or connectivity. (Or get yourself into a good niche, like Kevin900 did. Good job, Kevin!!)

While working a lot of overtime can help you financially, you're cheating yourself and your family if you work too much of it. It's also bad financial planning to depend on it to pay the bills, as OT can go away in a heartbeat, especially if your company in trying to scale back on expenses.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How much money do you make?

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    Note I spelled skills with a Z. Cause that's how I roll.
    I think thats what I need to get me over the top, something catchy like that Z thing. How about a cool K thing like, "Yo, Baby, I'm the Kopier TeK, I'm here to bust a move on your xerographic processes". I bet that gets me at least an extra $250 a month.