View Poll Results: Do you get a company vehicle?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES-and it's a nice vehicle

94 29.56%
  • YES-It's an ok vehicle

89 27.99%
  • YES-And it's a piece of s*&%

24 7.55%
  • NO

111 34.91%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Do you have a company car?

Re: Do you have a company car?

Small car, smaller gas bills. Also, our company doesn't want our techs riding around with a car full of parts - just some basics. We are close enough to the mothership to come in and grab bigger items. We're riding in Honda Civics and Scion pillboxes (when we're moving at all, due to summer traffic).

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KapeKopyTek View Post
    Small car, smaller gas bills. Also, our company doesn't want our techs riding around with a car full of parts - just some basics. We are close enough to the mothership to come in and grab bigger items. We're riding in Honda Civics and Scion pillboxes (when we're moving at all, due to summer traffic).
    Do have a point about the parts. I never really thought theft would be a problem, but these days people will steal anything! Thinking about it, few years back someone stole our dollar store landscape lights. Turned out to be a bunch of kids, as those are the only people who actually steal in my neighborhood.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Spent a week and a half at Xerox school a few weeks ago. I was told that Xerox techs who use a company car, have been ask why the vehicle was sitting for too long at some lights, and a new system they have coming out will track the route, so your boss can quizz you about why you took the route you took, when you could have turned here, ect. Nothing like micro managing to make things better, and save a penny.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Spent a week and a half at Xerox school a few weeks ago. I was told that Xerox techs who use a company car, have been ask why the vehicle was sitting for too long at some lights, and a new system they have coming out will track the route, so your boss can quizz you about why you took the route you took, when you could have turned here, ect. Nothing like micro managing to make things better, and save a penny.
    Back when my mother worked bill ops for ATT, they had a Xerox substation built inside of this building. They had a copy center that had a machine about 20 feet long that could do anything. They had factory trained techs there that worked all the time, and they performed maintenance to the machines every two weeks! They had atleast 10 machines on each floor, over 80 machines in total!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I guess you could say I do. I own the company, am the only employee, provide my own vehicle. It was new when I got in 2008 and am still driving 368,000 miles later. It is a Ford Edge and have loved it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by engineerboy93 View Post
    Anyways, the E63 wagon is nice to drive around to fix copiers. I never understood why these companies use these tiny cars. I would always think copier techs would drive around in vans like everyone else used to back in the 90's *scratches head*. Cost is a factor obviously!
    I've been driving a Chevy Astro AWD for 12 years and well over 300,000 miles now I love it and having a problem finding a replacement.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

When you have to supply your own vehicle you tend to treat it a bit better. Got to get those monthly oil changes, tires rotated and other scheduled maint when needed, just like the copiers. A little luck never hurts either.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Our company provides the vehicles, gas card, and all repairs and maintainence. They are gps tracked however. We all have dodge grand caravans mine is a 2011. At a regular 50,000 miles per year average that i drive theres no way id use my own car.

Technician

Post Re: Do you have a company car?

Quote Originally Posted by Counsel View Post
    Our company provides the vehicles, gas card, and all repairs and maintainence. They are gps tracked however. We all have dodge grand caravans mine is a 2011. At a regular 50,000 miles per year average that i drive theres no way id use my own car.
    Do they have to ask your permission to install the GPS tracking? By law in Aus they do.

Old job: I ran a Mazda 6 2006 model. Still have it, great car. Was paid a vehicle allowance to run my own vehicle
    New job: 2008 Volkswagen Caddy. I have to move MFD's sometimes. Good fuel economy (diesel). Road noise is awful. Van is supplied by the company and everything except parking meters is paid for. (And speeding fines of course!)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

They didn't ask and beings they own the vehicle i would be surprised if they had to ask, our policy technically says we are only supposed to drive the vehicle for work purpose, they let us drive beyond that within consideration of using their fuel but no ones in the office after 5pm to watch the gps anyway.