Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOCKDOWN!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    LOCKDOWN!

One of our Universities does this as well.

We installed the locks for them using window / sliding door type pin locks. Basically just had to drill a hole through the side case of the machine and into the cassette. The pin then locked the drawer from opening once slid through.

It is a pain though because only certain people have access to the keys and it has previously taken some time just to remove some poorly stacked peper which was causing the jamming.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I was at a government controlled office (basically a section 8 housing office) when someone called in a bomb threat on the building. I was 1/2 through a full pm on a Toshiba 3500c and was told I had 5 minutes to finish and get out. The policy of the building is to evacuate when the police show up and not come back till the next day when the police have "control' of the situation.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

OMD-227
    There is a large university here in central melbourne which has the same setup of locking the trays. I have a copy of the key on my car keyring to access all machines and their trays. We set them up similar to this before installation as requested. Seems the students need to 'pay' for their paper and were getting away with just taking as much as they wanted.

Seems like a common scenario. I thought we were the only ones with this crazy request.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    How about a "lock-in" ?

We had a tech do just that about 30 years ago at a factory.

He was working in an area where there were phones, but needed access codes to dial an outside line. Needless to say, he could find none. Being 1980, there were no cell phones.

Of course, this was at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon, so he didn't get out until about 6:00 Monday morning.

Fortunately there was a restroom and a snack machine with a bill changer so he didn't starve (or explode!).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    LOCKDOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    How about a "lock-in" ?

He was working in an area where there were phones, but needed access codes to dial an outside line. Needless to say, he could find none. Being 1980, there were no cell phones.

Of course, this was at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon, so he didn't get out until about 6:00 Monday morning.

Fortunately there was a restroom and a snack machine with a bill changer so he didn't starve (or explode!).
    WOW!
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    LOCKDOWN!

How about a "lock-in" ?

That would never have worked for me. I never carry cash. If I need money I use my debit card. I'd have tore a door down or taken it off it's hinges. This guy didn't even have a family wondering where he was??? Didn't he have an office to check in with?? Wow!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    LOCKDOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    That would never have worked for me. I never carry cash. If I need money I use my debit card. I'd have tore a door down or taken it off it's hinges. This guy didn't even have a family wondering where he was??? Didn't he have an office to check in with?? Wow!
    That's what im saying. My wife wouldn't believe that ish.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Notice he was there from Friday night until Monday morning, so our office never knew.

As for family, he had none locally, and lived by himself.

I know it was forever ago ( a few months after I first started), but from what I remember of him, this guy was a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

We had company cars back then, and he turned his (a '79 Olds Cutlass) into a bucket of bolts in about a year and a half. The owners took a real beating on that when they turned the car back in when the lease was up.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    LOCKDOWN!

Not to change the subject, but the LOCKDOWN on the stapler on this machine is phquin funny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Not to change the subject, but the LOCKDOWN on the stapler on this machine is phquin funny.
    I think I saw that on "ThereIFixedIt.com" - some pretty outrageous stuff there!