Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

He gave his all....

Place I worked at yearsssssssss ago. one of the older techs was working on a machine. Was a wide format machine. He was leaning over the top and reaching around the back. The customer noticed he hadn't moved in a while. They went to see what he was doing and discovered he was dead. He had had a massive heart attack and died on top the machine. Before his body was even out of the customers office, they had called to see if another tech was coming out to finish.
    Last edited by KIP_Doc; 04-19-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    He gave his all....

I guess this shows you how close a customer and thier technician can really get. There's a real bond there. This customer will probably be there at the funeral, saying "I can't believe he would leave the call incomplete. I mean, why would he just die like that right in the middle of our service call. It just really inconvenient...". =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Sorry to loose a fellow tech. R I P sir.

Are you sure it was a heart attack and it wasn't that his aorta burst?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    I was working on a spirit duplicator back in the mid 70's , half you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about, yea, I'm old, anyways back then we wore ties and I remember the guy that trained me always wore his tie with it tucked into his shirt buttons about 1/3 down from the top button, well, I found out why the hard way. The spirit duplicators have this exposed cylinder that you place a master on and it spins and impresses the image to the paper using a carbon type master and methanol, remember smelling the purple copies........ I have all the covers off the machine and lean over to see something on the back side and my chest hits the "on" rocker switch.......that thing grabbed my tie so fast and yanked my face into the cylinder, caught me right in the nose..........blood spews everywhere and I mean everywhere. I'm cupping my face...cussing up a storm, I'm in a teachers lounge in a school.....I turn to the teachers sitting there and say " wheres the nurses office" plus a few more choice words,..... no one said anything then a lady says....." You're gonna fix the duplicator before you go, aren't you?. I need it for the next class" ..... I broke a front tooth, broke my nose and had 2 full blown black eyes by the time I got to the nurses offices....and blood, man did I bleed........ Yes, I fixed the duplicator before I left. I tucked my tie in after that. I love customers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    He gave his all....

Quote Originally Posted by KIP_Doc View Post
    ...Before his body was even out of the customers office, they had called to see if another tech was coming out to finish.

The really scary part of the story is that it is 110% believable. People suck.

He gave his all....

Quote Originally Posted by Ducttape n Glue View Post
    I broke a front tooth, broke my nose and had 2 full blown black eyes by the time I got to the nurses offices....and blood, man did I bleed........
    Ties used to be company policy for me too - I swore up and down the first "accident" caused by my tie and machinery and I would own a good piece of the company. Does anybody know if OSHA has ever been called about this? (For you guys not in the U.S. OSHA is the Occupational Safety and Health Administration - They're the government safety inspectors, and they can shut down a business in a heartbeat if they see a bad enough safety hazard)
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ducttape n Glue View Post
    I broke a front tooth, broke my nose and had 2 full blown black eyes by the time I got to the nurses offices....and blood, man did I bleed........ Yes, I fixed the duplicator before I left. I tucked my tie in after that. I love customers.
    When I worked at Pitney Bowes, ties were required along with a suit coat and in the winter a dress overcoat. They originally wanted their techs to wear all white suits with white shirts and white ties to show how clean their copiers were. Glad they scraped that plan. We would have looked like the Good Humor Man.

goodhumormanlew..jpg

He gave his all....

Speak for yourself - I'm an economy sized guy, I'd have looked like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man
    73 DE W5SSJ

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    He gave his all....

Yeah, I don't miss the white shirt, tie, suit jacket, except for that one time I split pants when crouching in front of a machine. The jacket covered the split quite nicely until I could get back to the office and do some emergency alterations with a Swingline stapler. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Speak for yourself - I'm an economy sized guy, I'd have looked like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man
    Who ya gonna call?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins