Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    If you start getting physically sick just at the thought of going into work, then seriously, quit that job. the stress is not worth killing yourself over. I have seen people have nervous breakdowns doing this game, and it is generally because the company they work for does not really support them, or give them backup if a problem escalates. I feel sorry for the tech that wants to do a good job, but the company gets on their back for a high parts spend, (due to some lazy twat of a tech that went into a call before him and just dusted the machine over, and knowing it needed parts hoped the next tech would fit them).

Get out of the game for a while. Don't worry you will soon be sucked back into being a tech again. NO ONE EVER LEAVES!!
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Anyone actually like being a tech?

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Blowing up things and shooting people in the game is better than doing it in real life.
    Speak for yourself - I used to enjoy taking my rifle down to the dump and taking my frustrations out on the rats. (kinda upsets some people nowadays) Could be considered community service too - exterminating vermin.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by Morlock49 View Post
    Get out of the game for a while. Don't worry you will soon be sucked back into being a tech again. NO ONE EVER LEAVES!!
    Ain't that the truth!

former propeller tester 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I have found that in this field, the amount of responsibility given an individual will only increase, despite what your compensation is. With the responsibility comes stress, and if you can deal with the stress the responsibility doesn't seem as great. Solutions could include working out every day, yoga, or even a psychiatrist. I prefer to use beer.
    I was seeing a psychiatrist for about a year, she also does hypnoses and convinced me I was the best root in the world !

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    I hate my job, I get physically ill in the mornings knowing what's in store for the day. I've been at it for 7 years, and make a good wage. The only happy techs I've ever met were the ones who didn't give a shit about fixing anything. I think maybe I just care too much about doing a good job, which doesn't seem to be paying off as I haven't gotten a raise in two years. Any advice? What frame of mind do you get yourself in to deal with the daily barrage of shitty machines, shitty salespeople, and shitty customers? Should I just give up like some of these older techs I've met?
    I was a copier tech for 13 years. I liked being a tech, working on the machines, figuring out problems, etc. I hated the job, though. Driving all day, dealing with bad attitudes most of the places I went. Knowing that the people you work for couldn't give two shits about you. You really get treated like livestock at most dealerships. I was one of the lucky ones, I got laid off and ended up working in IT for a software company that does a lot of work with printers and MFPs. I still work on printers/MFPs occassionally without all the stresses of a field tech position. The best part is... no dealing with salespeople, ever.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Speak for yourself - I used to enjoy taking my rifle down to the dump and taking my frustrations out on the rats. (kinda upsets some people nowadays) Could be considered community service too - exterminating vermin.
    So your salesmen dissappeared over night as well then !!!
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

My attorneys have advised me that to answer that question could possibly violate my rights prohibiting self incrimination under the 5th amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kwazimoto's Avatar
    hello
    yes I like my job been doing it 20 years would not change it,, yes customer bring you done sometimes and some company drive you nut but for the most part it is a good job..I live in Montana so do alot of traveling out of the office days at a time so kind of like my oun boss with out the bills just do my thing and life is good..

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts angelntx's Avatar
    You have my sympathy and I completely understand how you feel. I've been in the game for about 14 years. I have to deal mainly with so-called highly educated clients who apparently can't follow the simplest instructions. Things have changed where I'm at. We've changed to Ricoh yet still work on Canon's. With all the changes alot of times I get fed up and want to call it quits but the I love what I do. I love the challenges that the high production machines give me(those are from 4 different makers). I like to work on machines get my hands dirty and see how happy the clients are when I get the job done. It is an amazing feeling of satisfaction. However there are many times I don't like whom I'm working for. We haven't had any payraises in several years but I can't see myself doing anything else. I like the freedom of moving from place to place not sitting behind some desk or counter watching the clock tick by. Forget the office politics, forget the attitudes of the other techs, don't try to immedate their sorry attitudes you'll only give yourself an ulcer. I know, I've tried it and made myself physically sick. Do what you would want another tech to do of YOU OWNED the machine.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    I can totally relate!!! I have done this for 15 years now and LOVE being a tech but DESPISE all the crap that comes with it. Some days I get up and just can't face another sour-puss customer. The job has its ups and downs is all I can say. For a while you get a decent boss then some jerk takes his place and then back again. Some customers just give you crap every time you see them, then new people come in and it's your best account.

One piece of advice I can give, make a resume and look for another job as a copier tech or otherwise. Just sending out your resume and going on interviews can give you a new outlook. You don't even have to take the job if you don't want to but like Shadow said, it help just knowing you can just tell your boss and bad customers STFU.

As far as caring too much about doing a good job I know what you mean. I've been working on Canon's since I started and in 15 years have only ever had 1 copier that got swapped out by service, and that was a Ricoh B296. These POS machines, specifically Savin 8045/8025 and Ricoh 2550/4000, are kicking my a$$ and I really can't stand working on them or explaining to irate customers why their BRAND NEW copier has had soo many problems. It's like trying to make a Yugo perform like a Ford truck. In the past when I run into trouble accounts I take a moment to make a list of every part I think needs replacing (whole feed assemblies, covers, developer assy, etc...) and basically just shotgunned' that copier. I know they drill it into us to be a surgeon and just replace the "bad" part, but for my own sanity I have done this 4 or 5 times. I went from seeing that problem customer every couple weeks to 7 or 8 months without a service call. It might have been one expensive service call but I can't tell you how nice it was not having to deal with them for that long! Now if I can just figure out how to do that with my Ricoh's, most of them have less than 50k and have been problems from day one. Like a new feed assembly will feed any better than one with 15k.
    i've been at this for about 20 years and you are right, most coustomers blame you ( even if you have never been there ) sale people are ass's
    most service mrg.s forgot how it is in the field, and the pay well you have to just about fight for an incress,
    ( keep a good fram of mine, and get out while you can )

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here