Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts George J's Avatar
    I'm having a bit of a hard time myself at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, the job as such is pretty sweet, but dealing with a boss who doesn't acknowledge that his graveyard parts and inferior knock off parts are making matters worse, coupled with a useless dispatcher, hostile clients and a complete lack of training and support what so ever .... It seems that the only way to communicate are shouting and making threats.

Having to beg for parts that in the best case are only slightly less worse than the ones you are trying to replace, while all the while you are trying to meet some really irrelevant quota.

It's becoming a bit too much for me

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Anyone actually like being a tech?

This last week has been, wake up, work, come home, sleep. rinse and repeat.

I do my best to keep clients happy, no improvement in the office where nothing is really good enough. Had to clean up two jobs where the "amature" as I like to call it, didnt finish. I'm being criticized for one repeat that I was simply there to replace one component. Dont blame the guy when the diagnose didnt come from me.

idiots.

going through a burntout phase...

Dont get me wrong, i still like being a f[censored] tech.

Technician
    Well, I must say that reading this thread has given me a good laugh or two, and actually...a bit of a new outlook on my job. Even though I work for IKON, and this has really evolved into a Shit job some / most days, It could certainly be a lot worse.

My biggest complaint is that we are essentially being forced to work overtime without compensation. This is done through assigning too many machines / too big of territory to a single tech, and asking them to manage it all, plus backup other techs that are out, plus do all the other administrative tasks associated with this job such as Shipping / Rec. parts, e-mails etc.

They just say get it done, and there is no overtime allowed, and make sure you hit your parts budget, and retain your customers, and try and sell them a whole bunch of new shit while you are there too.

Give me a break. I too have 25 years in the industry, and all my fellow technicians are miserable. They put on a fake smile most of the time for the customers and our management, but if you got a beer in them, they would tell you straight out...

The company only cares about $$$..not the Tech's , or The Customer. The only way a tech can protect His / Her sanity is to develop an " i don't give a shit" attutude.

Service Manager 100+ Posts linuxxpwin's Avatar
    I was born a field tech, I grew up being a field, I eat and sleep tech, and sure enough I will die a field tech.

Hey I will even be a field tech in heaven.

Technician
    Sounds like a John Cougar song.....

" I was born a copier tech,"
    Probably die a Copier Tech,
    With a copier's where they'll bury me!"

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    I love being a tech.

But I also like whips and chains.

Rob S

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    I recently started a new job at a different dealership. I thought a lack of a raise these last few years was my reason for looking. Actually, my former employer was getting a little carried away with cost-saving measures. No raises devolved to no trunk stock, then no parts in-house, then not even overnighting parts for down machines. My job went from always getting what I needed to keep my customers happy, to sheepishly returning a week or more after the original call date. And I just loved having to strip a lease return for feed rollers. Fine in an emergency, but stop gaps are not repairs, long term. Customers started asking "What happened to your company ?". If you loved this job, but now can't face it; perhaps a new venue is all you need. When I interviewed for my new job, I made sure to get a nice tour of the facilities. Clean and Organized. Smiling faces. New decor. Trophy Case. Candy Dishes everywhere, not for my sweet-tooth, to see if folks are nice and generous to each other. Nice cars in employee parking lot. Hugh parts department. Recessions over. Make a new resume'. Or go become a bartender. My summer bartender gig keeps me happy, in shape, and laid. Or consider volunteering just a few hours every other week or so. Helping those less fortunate with your time always lifts the spirits.
    Kevin900

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Anyone actually like being a tech?

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    I recently started a new job at a different dealership. I thought a lack of a raise these last few years was my reason for looking. Actually, my former employer was getting a little carried away with cost-saving measures. No raises devolved to no trunk stock, then no parts in-house, then not even overnighting parts for down machines. My job went from always getting what I needed to keep my customers happy, to sheepishly returning a week or more after the original call date. And I just loved having to strip a lease return for feed rollers. Fine in an emergency, but stop gaps are not repairs, long term. Customers started asking "What happened to your company ?". If you loved this job, but now can't face it; perhaps a new venue is all you need. When I interviewed for my new job, I made sure to get a nice tour of the facilities. Clean and Organized. Smiling faces. New decor. Trophy Case. Candy Dishes everywhere, not for my sweet-tooth, to see if folks are nice and generous to each other. Nice cars in employee parking lot. Hugh parts department. Recessions over. Make a new resume'. Or go become a bartender. My summer bartender gig keeps me happy, in shape, and laid. Or consider volunteering just a few hours every other week or so. Helping those less fortunate with your time always lifts the spirits.
    BRAVO, sounds like you made a good move.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    I've had worse jobs.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    I've had worse jobs.
    yep. try riding around at 10:00PM on a machine sweeping parking lots.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here