Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drug Test

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    I also think it has a large deal who you work for as far as an independent vs a manufacturer. Back in 99, our little dealership got purchased by Panasonic. I never had to take a drug test at a small dealership, but they let us know that it would be a requirement of employment. And I wasn't even a TECH, I was a sales rep! A pee test for a sales rep, are you freaking serious?

Our family owned dealership has nothing of the sorts. What you do on your time is your business.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Drug Test

OMG!!! Not sales reps too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    I also think it has a large deal who you work for as far as an independent vs a manufacturer. Back in 99, our little dealership got purchased by Panasonic. I never had to take a drug test at a small dealership, but they let us know that it would be a requirement of employment. And I wasn't even a TECH, I was a sales rep! A pee test for a sales rep, are you freaking serious?

Our family owned dealership has nothing of the sorts. What you do on your time is your business.
    What does being a sales rep have to do with it? If a company does drug testing it usually applies to everyone.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    If you're going to do drug testing, it had better darn well apply to everyone.

If not, I'm sure that the EEOC would be glad to hear about it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    Oh, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

In my limited (at that point in time) experience in the copier industry I had just never heard of anyone in a sales position getting drug tested. And yes, they did test everyone.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I agree with the OP....this whole pot issue is simply insane. Since I was 13 I started smoking pot. Crappy pot, but pot still the same. I joined the army for a few years, stopped while I was in. Started back up where I left off. 30 years later, I still enjoy smoking a couple when I want to sit back, like right now.

I do not buy that bullshit gateway drug nonsense. I've experimented in my teens with acid (twice) and shrooms(once), but I really did not like the high I got from those. Pot I liked. Hash I LOVE, if I can get it. Pot I know I will not do stupid stuff while high on. I almost became an alcoholic in the army, but that was more an environmental/peer thing than any real need to get drunk, but since I have left the army, I almost never drink, except perhaps new years or canada day or my birthdays...even then I don't get drunk. I get really stoned on weed. And the next day I wake up, well rested, no headache or urge to barf and I am able to function. Can't say there were many days in the army where I was in that particular state in the mornings.

Pot doesn't make ya stupid, except maybe while high on it. But long term effects of chronic smoking? Hardly. I had a 3.6 GPA in my EET course...and that would have been higher if not for that useless SOB of a teacher who couldn't teach Comm1 if his life depended on it. All notes, all the time, every class copy the notes he wrote on the board, no discussion of the material. He was fired the semester after that one. I've met many lawyer types on this job, and my assessment of them is...."the more education they get, the stupider they become" based on the number of times they call in for service to replace the magenta image unit only to have me pointing out on the screen where it says "replace magenta TONER". I am getting so sick and tired of that shit.

Drug testing is a falacy. I am all for testing for substance abuse on the job if the objective was to get the guys abusing while ON the job. Drunk or high, either way. But if yer sober, what do I care? And like a rant elsewhere, we have a new guy (been with us two years now) who still doesn't engage his brain where it needs to be when troubleshooting problems in a copier or trying to fix a problem. He's practically a zealot of the anti-pot brigade, but as braindead as Tommy Chong is when laced on cock roaches. Like the OP says about inept stupid workers, this kid is one of those...hopefully soon, with some of the management changes that have happened recently, he will soon be a distant memory.

There are some companies that apparently do drug tests in these parts, but KM isn't one of them. I think they know that if they did test, there goes the majority of the techs and sales reps, so they don't test. And its pretty hard to find decent help in this trade as it is for the measely pay we get.

And of course, now law enforcement here in Canada can do roadside drug tests for pot smoking. Same kind of thing as breathilizer for alcohol. Haven't heard of anyone being busted for this yet. I suspect the cops are paying lip service to this liberal zealotry and are concentrating on the real problems out there....(snort)...like where the nearest Tim Horton's is.

I am looking forward to the results of a ballot being held in California this fall (november I think), calling for the legalization of pot in that state. And of course, there are a couple legal challenges here regarding medicinal pot...not so much the medical part, but access to decent pot and not state run crap (similar to the garbage I smoked when I was 13). Eventually, sooner rather than later, pot will be legalized. And I will celebrate with a couple.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Drug Test

Once a pot head.

Alway's a pot head.

LOL
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar
    pot smoking makes you paranoid
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    pot smoking makes you paranoid
    What do you mean by that? What have you heard? Do you know something?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking