Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drug Test

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Drug Test

A long time ago when I worked in a factory they started drug testing. The people selling the testing told the factory how it would make them safer and more productive. Bullshit. As a mid level manager I watched the test do nothing more than run off my good employees. You see in this rough enviroment I worked in, the boys who smoked pot were the ones who knew their job, showed up every day on time and preformed. Most of whom I considered sorry employees, could pass the piss test and you could not get rid of them. The good ones who would fail the test did not care, as they wound up getting better jobs most of the time. Since pot is the only thing that stays in your system for more than 3 days I saw crack heads pass and get hired and then turn back into a crackhead.
    Where I work now does not piss test as we are evaluated on our performance. I was working on a copier in a drug test lab, and saw an employee of one of my competitors sitting and waiting to take a test. He told me he had worked for them for 14 years. I was amazed. I could not believe
    that a small family business would have the need to random test its employees. You would think that you would know your employee after that long. My boss does not care what we do in our spare time, we are rated by what we do. How about you? What does your company do?
    The company that I worked for when drug testing started, closed its biggest plant and moved the operation to Mexico, where it it legal to smoke pot. So much for pot being a safety risk in a factory.
    Almost every person I knew that flunked the test, kept smoking and got better jobs.
    How important is testing , or is it a big waste of time, I vote for the latter. I would much rather work with someone who smokes pot than someone who is trying to slowly drink himself to death. I do not think the alcoholics know how bad they smell the next day sweating it out.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Drug Test

I agree. What does it matter? As long as your there doing the work.....who cares????

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Liabilities and lawsuits...it all comes down to that.
    My brother worked for a lab that hires out to Fortune 500 companies and he drives all over the place to take piss and blood samples from their employees. He hated it.
    My opinion: do the job, do it right, don't affect others negatively and it is ok. I have had a couple of alcoholics who adversely affected the company and customers. Never had a pothead do that.
    I know some very high up, influential, responsible, hardworking potheads. They know when and where to do what they do. Assume the personal responsibilities of your position, great or small, be accountable and all should be fine.
    The laws still are based on the old "Reefer Madness" mentality.
    This country decided a long time ago to allow 3 personal "vices" for their citizens. ATF. All others are prohibited. IMHO,YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    A long time ago when I worked in a factory they started drug testing. The people selling the testing told the factory how it would make them safer and more productive. Bullshit. As a mid level manager I watched the test do nothing more than run off my good employees. You see in this rough enviroment I worked in, the boys who smoked pot were the ones who knew their job, showed up every day on time and preformed. Most of whom I considered sorry employees, could pass the piss test and you could not get rid of them. The good ones who would fail the test did not care, as they wound up getting better jobs most of the time. Since pot is the only thing that stays in your system for more than 3 days I saw crack heads pass and get hired and then turn back into a crackhead.
    Where I work now does not piss test as we are evaluated on our performance. I was working on a copier in a drug test lab, and saw an employee of one of my competitors sitting and waiting to take a test. He told me he had worked for them for 14 years. I was amazed. I could not believe
    that a small family business would have the need to random test its employees. You would think that you would know your employee after that long. My boss does not care what we do in our spare time, we are rated by what we do. How about you? What does your company do?
    The company that I worked for when drug testing started, closed its biggest plant and moved the operation to Mexico, where it it legal to smoke pot. So much for pot being a safety risk in a factory.
    Almost every person I knew that flunked the test, kept smoking and got better jobs.
    How important is testing , or is it a big waste of time, I vote for the latter. I would much rather work with someone who smokes pot than someone who is trying to slowly drink himself to death. I do not think the alcoholics know how bad they smell the next day sweating it out.
    Dude that has been my argument all along , thanks alot for this and to all the people who think if you smoke pot you cannot do the job , yes that is true, if you smoke it on the job your mind is probably wondering off but in your spare time it makes you forget about everything and everyone and gets you back to work fresh for the next day.Not that i am talking from experience. L.O.L

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The military drug test vigorously. That means that all my end users are drug free. I could better understand cutting open a water filter and pouring charcoal in my toner bottle and then calling in for poor print quality, if they had all been toking it up. I might have even found it funny... if I had been stoned also.

I think IQ testing would be a better way to spend the money. Then you should have to have your IQ displayed on your shirt if it is below 100, so we know who we are dealing with.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    The military drug test vigorously. That means that all my end users are drug free. I could better understand cutting open a water filter and pouring charcoal in my toner bottle and then calling in for poor print quality, if they had all been toking it up. I might have even found it funny... if I had been stoned also.

I think IQ testing would be a better way to spend the money. Then you should have to have your IQ displayed on your shirt if it is below 100, so we know who we are dealing with.
    ^^ I agree 100%, some days it scares me to see how oblivious or just plain retarded some people can be. I hate to say that in a couple of years Bush Jr. might actually be smarter than our next presidents...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Drug Test

Back in the day when I was working out in the field, my first job in the industry was for Unisys, I failed the drug test but they told me I could take it again, so the 2nd time I took it I bought a kit at a head shop, drank it and then went for the test and passed. I guess the fact that I was A+ certified carried a lot of weight. This was back in 1997 and not many folks had this cert. I smoke everyday and I have been for at least 30 years. I only smoke at night though and I rarely take it out of the house except for going to a concert or something. I use a vaporizer too, best thing ever invented! Can't wait till it gets legalized, although I don't think the price will go down.

Paul

former propeller tester 250+ Posts
    cool thread lol, fixthecopier avatar will amuse me now haa

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    I would like to see the government pass a drug test law. Not for the people actually working for a living, paying taxes, etc. but for the ones on welfare who just smile and wave as you go to work. If they fail the pee test.....no welfare. How about mandatory pee tests for all the ones in DC. The president and his family included.