Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSC View Post
    At my old company my furthest I would travel was about 145 miles to Penzance then by helicopter to the Scilly isles which was about 40 miles then a taxi to the customer which is about 1.5 miles. If it was an easy job I had about 4 hours to kill on the island, great in the summer dead boring in the winter. Then the same trip back.
    Only about 330 miles but seemed like 1,000 and a 14hour day.
    Probably kind of hard to explain to the boss why you got to the call with the wrong supplies. Not that any of us have ever done that.

Technician
    How many work miles / km have you driven in one day?

When I was 18 back in the late 70's, me & my brother drove straight from NJ to LA Calif. Took us just a bit more than 2 days. Dont remember exactly but maybe 52 hours??? Approx 3000 miles. We took turns driving a while then sleeping in the shot gun seat. Stopped only for gassing up my 1971 Caddy & fast food occasionally. (The driving was split by 2 people) Started out with maybe 8 hours stints behind the wheel each then progressively got shorter as the trip dragged on. Did it the same way 3 years later on the return trip when I moved back home.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhiker View Post
    Monthly trips to the coast and back.. about 150 miles.

Or...not about distance, driving on the freeway in slow traffic, it was about 90F outside, the second car behind a truck and trailer load of chickens. between the feathers flying around and the smell...
    God it is horrible and your Windshield afterwords. Really really sucks to get stuck behind the chicken cage truck.

WOETC
    Once did a return trip Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in one day 460 km (about 350 miles) each way. When I first started where I work now, I was doing over 2500 km (1500 miles) a week regularly. I regularly do 300km a day and frequently 450 km. One of my favourite jobs is at a Gold mine at an old Ghost town 375km each way. I love those days on the road.

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    How many work miles / km have you driven in one day?

The most ive done with this company is 950kms, round trip up the west coast and back home through the middle.

Once drove from Esperance to Port Lincoln returning from work there, thats 1800kms by the road, but I think we saved around 200kms on short cuts.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison