Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Getting REALLY TIRED of...

First post... I NEED!!!! I need firmware... I need this I need that. How about establish yourself some... help out and we will be glad to help out you.

[/down from soapbox]
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I agree but since this is my first post can someone send me a new work vehicle???
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've got to agree. Firmware & manuals are necessary tools, and cost money. Why should I give these things away? They weren't free to me. I should subsidize other business concerns that don't know how to manage their own cost of doing business?

My advise? Pay your own way, and quit asking for free tools. Free advise? Sure! Every day. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    The unfortunate part is that for many of them, if they are not an authorized service company, I will never go beyond simply answering some questions. Those that are authorized, should have access to those things at some level or another. I cannot speak for all regions, but I know KM Canada will provide support to independents within reason. It will cost them for the items they request. We've helped out some here in Calgary, even with freebies. A couple guys regularly come by to pick at our bone yard for free. No sweat to us, it would all go to landfill, so recycling is a bonus for all concerned.

But here...even if they are willing to pay, I will not give out software or manuals. I leave that up to the head office to decide if they are authorized or not.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    First post... I NEED!!!! I need firmware... I need this I need that. How about establish yourself some... help out and we will be glad to help out you.

[/down from soapbox]
    [/ borrows soapbox]

And use the search feature...believe it or not your problem isn't unique!

[/ gives soapbox back for recycling]
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Somewhere along the line, we tend to lose sight of the fact that if the manufacturers knew that we were doling out copies of firmware and software to unauthorized "entities" that we could potentially lose our franchises with them.

Is it really worth that kind of risk just to be helpful?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I godda admit, sometimes I wanna give them the wrong firmware... that way they can brick it and then they HAVE TO CALL!!!

[/evilness]
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    I think if you allow endusers on the forum, you would expect this. What other reason would they be on this website, but for "I need..." and the internet is all about "free" content.

As for techs....I found this site because I was "in need" of info I did not have. I also needed it now and did not have the luxury of giving information and help to others first. I buy plenty of manuals and pay for other info , but, I also see what info may or may not be available at no cost or "free".

I monitor the sites I have used and try to help when I can. I don't doubt that I have benefited far greater than I have benefited others, but I do try and reciprocate.

Funny how some manufacturers give the firmware away for free and others want to charge you for it. Some dealers include firmware upgrades for free and others charge for it.
    I worked for a dealership once that gave a copy of the service manual for every unit they sold.

Just observing, IMHO and YMMV.

How do the companies that sell, and list for free, all kinds of manuals, do it without getting in trouble, assuming what they are doing is illegal?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    A lot of us have to take exams, learn, or otherwise take effort to be able to do repairs, download firmware, get service and parts manuals. And most manufacturers require that you pass some basic exams first (basic network printing, basic copiers etc.). So a lot of technicians must do some real studying. And then there's someone who asks things just for free? Sometimes you can't tell if the person is a tech or just an enduser.

First contribute something before asking (or sometimes begging) for something for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post

First contribute something before asking (or sometimes begging) for something for free.
    They could at least start off by saying PLEASE..............Its the "I want" that really gets my goat.

I don't mind helping end users but I would never never share firmware, and as for the old "does anybody know how to reset a counter" they should be kicked off the site.

Ok im getting off the soapbox, whos next?