Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    shock horror secrets discovered on old copiers!

No hacking here necessary in any way, all i need is a little knowledge about boolean algebra and how to feed a search engine. I am pretty sure, that this works with canon, km and whatsoever, if the IT Admin does not make its work correctly.
    In the most cases it is enough to set a gateway adress, where it is not necessary and *BAM*, the box "phone home"
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Hmm So anyway to block this from happening? Sure changing the Default Admin and Pass is a start, but can still see Documents in Document Server without logging in I know the documents can be password protected, but most of my customers won't go to that trouble. A Gateway and DNS is necessary for the MFP to scan to email.

klurejr
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    holy crap with this kind of information an unscrupulous hacker now has access to any of those networks and purely wreak havoc outside of the needs of the copier.

I agree stupid IT admin.

To my knowledge, Konica Minolta machines do not have this capability. If Ricoh is aware of this and they're not informing their customers they are culpable in losses that these companies might face due to any hacking activity that could arise from this. I think I'll make this information available to our sales reps so then we have a leg up on the competition out there.

Any MFP with a built in web server can be exposed like this if the organization gives it a public IP and sets it up outside a firewall.

When networked MFP's first started becoming common place I remember working with many customers who had purchased a block of 5-10 IP addresses from the ISP and had all their computers and MFP's sitting on the internet using a public address.

I once tested this by saving the IP address they gave me from the block they had and logging into it from home.

The MFP's you can find via google are sitting on the wrong side of a firewall, or the network they are on has no firewall, and is instead using public IP's. I had thought this practice had gone away years ago, but obviously some people still do business this way.

I don't see how the manufacturer can be to blame when they disclose that the device has an embedded web server, in fact most manufacturers tout the web server as a feature benefit.

Really if a dealer is installing a new machine and the customer gives you a public IP it would be to your benefit to explain the dangers of using public IP's not just for the MFP, but for all ones PC's as well.

Many of you might remember Windows OS before they had firewalls built in, the entire reason Microsoft gave the desktop a firewall, personal PC's on DSL and Cable, users were just plugging the PC directly into the modem and using the public IP from the ISP.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Just bought a lease end wide format mfp unit. You should see the prints on this thing!! Needless to say, somebody dropped the ball, and let out an awful lot of highly confidential, proprietary and classified prints. From circuit diagrams, to building floor plans, to components blueprints. We are shredding all prints and deleting all files. Irony is one of the prints is from the Security and Data Information Department!! This was in a very important location.
    Signing off,
    Dr. Evil

klurejr
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulkor View Post
    Hmm So anyway to block this from happening? Sure changing the Default Admin and Pass is a start, but can still see Documents in Document Server without logging in I know the documents can be password protected, but most of my customers won't go to that trouble. A Gateway and DNS is necessary for the MFP to scan to email.
    The fix is to not give an MFP a public IP Address, simply put it behind a firewall, which as I stated above is common practice these days. If an MFP is behind the firewall no amount of google magic is going to get an outsider to its webpage.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    ok Cool so a Standard Class C, B, A IP behind a Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, etc Router will work since most of those have firewalls on them. Unless some idiot would leave a back door open to the network through it.

klurejr
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulkor View Post
    ok Cool so a Standard Class C, B, A IP behind a Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, etc Router will work since most of those have firewalls on them. Unless some idiot would leave a back door open to the network through it.
    Correct, someone would have to create a routing table on the router to forward incoming HTTP requests from the outside of the firewall specifically to an IP address on the inside of the firewall.

By default any linksys, netgear, dlink etc router/firewall will be setup for NAT, and not allow outside requests to browse your internal network.

I don't see why companies would still use public IP's for each connected device. would require more work than using private addresses because you would have to turn off the NAT on every modem,router,switch. would create alot of work for IT department unless there is some program or something they do that requires it.

klurejr
    Quote Originally Posted by treed889 View Post
    I don't see why companies would still use public IP's for each connected device. would require more work than using private addresses because you would have to turn off the NAT on every modem,router,switch. would create alot of work for IT department unless there is some program or something they do that requires it.
    The companies I saw doing it in the past did not use a router at all, rather they had the modem connected directly to the switch, and normally they were smaller companies, 5-10 users.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herrmann View Post
    You dont even need to get physical access to the mashine, all it needs is a stupid it admin.
    For the example of Ricoh, try this:

open Google com (if it redirects to your contry, enter www.google.com/ncr ;ncr stands for *no country redirect* ) , then enter in the search mask:
    (inurl:webArch/mainFrame.cgi) | (intitle:"web image monitor"-htm -solutions)

have fun

Note: if there are documents in the Document Server, you can read the first side without problems.
    Note2: even if the mashine has the standard setup and password, dont fiddle around with it, thats not nice
    Have you noticed they're all from a similar age group too? Adonis and Russian C3's and J-C2's, all of which if memory serves use the same groundworks board. Thank god they're not making them anymore!
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.