Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    shock horror secrets discovered on old copiers!

Going back to the original article aren't they talking about the document server of the copier. A lot of people including our customers have misinterpreted this as every copy scan fax etc is stored on the hard drive.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Depending on the brand, this IS what the issue is. Many machines parse data to the hard disk, either through scanning or printing.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

I believe it was CBS news story that started this whole sh**storm and putting the fear of God into customers. The guy who was on this story that was showing how to get information off the copiers, his business is copy security software, but I guess the customers didn't catch on to this.

Thing is, regardless of how serious you or I think it is, it can be a problem for the end users, who may have confidential information they do not want out in the wild.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    shock horror secrets discovered on old copiers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    Depending on the brand, this IS what the issue is. Many machines parse data to the hard disk, either through scanning or printing.
    But its not as easy as plugging the hard drive into a computer to access the files or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nallard84 View Post
    I believe it was CBS news story that started this whole sh**storm and putting the fear of God into customers. The guy who was on this story that was showing how to get information off the copiers, his business is copy security software, but I guess the customers didn't catch on to this.
    I have watched that story several times and the emphasis seems to be on Toshiba copiers. Stop the film where the guy finds the files with his 'forensic software' which looks like Ubuntu. All the files are pdfs surely that's an indication that in this case its the document server?
    Maybe Toshiba use a Linux filesystem that is really that easy to access.

In most cases, at least with KM hardware, any document printed is parsed on the hard disk for processing into print data. This allows for the speed. Otherwise, the data is converted on the windows box, ala inkjet style.

Also, there are user boxes where the users can scan or print a document to. Incoming faxes are also parsed to the hard drive before being printed or forwarded to email/box/smb. Anything scanned to SMB or email or memory stick or....you get the idea, all are parsed to the hard disk first.

From personal experience, looking at a hard drive from a C650, I was able to read the contents directly off the drive using standard windows and an external drive caddy. I did not need any special software to do this.

The thing is, that data on a hard disk is vulnerable to exploitation by external means and that it should be dealt with in a proactive manner, either by the end user, or the vendor of that hardware.

Ask yourself this simple question. What is the purpose of data encryption hardware that some companies sell as an option?
    ---Groucho Marx

toner monkey 100+ Posts jamesyboy's Avatar
    There are encryption options for probally most machines if customers are willing to pay?
    it is standard on most tosh but when enabled slows network traffic

however if I scanned something to the hdd of a cpoier and it was confidential I would save it on my pc and delete it straight away surely thats easy peasy customer stuff!!!!!

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    It comes down to customer education - but lets face it (if the customer really understood what the copier does and how it works re the hdd would they let it go?) they do have the right to keep the hdd at the end of the contract or if the hdd fails then imagine the cost involved with second hand machines and warranty claims when you cant produce the hdd or have to order a new one. Do we really want to educate the customer or are the IT departments at the customers not clued up on whats going on? Me, unless the customer says they want the faulty HDD i remove it and send it back for warranty or unless its a really old m/c like a ricoh 1035 and i cant be arsed to dispose of it i tell them to destroy it.

toner monkey 100+ Posts jamesyboy's Avatar
    caution !!!!
    Ive had 2 big corporate customers ask if any hdd have ever been changed on their machines and if so where are they
    all our guys now if they change a hdd give the old drive to the customer and get a signiture just in case !!!!!!