Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

shock horror secrets discovered on old copiers!

Yep its been reported in america, now we have breaking news in the UK - not!

Office photo-copiers containing sensitive information are being sold to potential fraudsters | News Of The World

The post by trevor nelson is spot on with his comment!

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    I am betting a copier sales person sent in a tip for this whole deal. We have just gotten more sales because of this.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Multifunction devices and printers are a goldmine of valuable information if you know what your doing, all brands have their security flaws IMHO. Sadly a lot of I.T. people are not aware of the vulnerabilities.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    With all the news about HDD's, everyone thinks they have one. One of my customers has signs posted all over their machines stating that they own the HDD, problem is , none of them have HDDs.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    With all the news about HDD's, everyone thinks they have one. One of my customers has signs posted all over their machines stating that they own the HDD, problem is , none of them have HDDs.
    We had a customer who was trading up from an old EP3050 and was insistent that we wipe the hard disk before taking the machine. It took 20 minutes to convince her that her POS analog had no drive.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Here we go again!

We've been doing a lot of DOSS(Data Overwrite Security Software) installs and wiping hard drives because of this. Another way to make a few bucks.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    personally i think its down to the lease company as they own the m/c or the company who had the m/c to implement it into the sales/hire contract that they retain the hdd. Lets face it most companies when they upgrade their IT equipment, they remove all Hdd from the equipment before its disposed of- the sooner companies realise this the better.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

You dont even need to get physical access to the mashine, all it needs is a stupid it admin.
    For the example of Ricoh, try this:

open Google com (if it redirects to your contry, enter www.google.com/ncr ;ncr stands for *no country redirect* ) , then enter in the search mask:
    (inurl:webArch/mainFrame.cgi) | (intitle:"web image monitor"-htm -solutions)

have fun

Note: if there are documents in the Document Server, you can read the first side without problems.
    Note2: even if the mashine has the standard setup and password, dont fiddle around with it, thats not nice
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herrmann View Post
    You dont even need to get physical access to the mashine, all it needs is a stupid it admin.
    For the example of Ricoh, try this:

open Google com (if it redirects to your contry, enter www.google.com/ncr ;ncr stands for *no country redirect* ) , then enter in the search mask:
    (inurl:webArch/mainFrame.cgi) | (intitle:"web image monitor"-htm -solutions)

have fun

Note: if there are documents in the Document Server, you can read the first side without problems.
    Note2: even if the mashine has the standard setup and password, dont fiddle around with it, thats not nice
    That's nuts! I was able to get a scan of a friggin' passport in under five minutes! Nay, it was actually three in one PDF! Crazy.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    holy crap with this kind of information an unscrupulous hacker now has access to any of those networks and purely wreak havoc outside of the needs of the copier.

I agree stupid IT admin.

To my knowledge, Konica Minolta machines do not have this capability. If Ricoh is aware of this and they're not informing their customers they are culpable in losses that these companies might face due to any hacking activity that could arise from this. I think I'll make this information available to our sales reps so then we have a leg up on the competition out there.
    Last edited by Stirton.M; 07-27-2010 at 06:41 AM.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.