Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

Actually this monday went fine for me. Last monday too. And the one before that.

I'm on the third week of a three-week vacation!

I fear the next monday, though...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I want to take more holidays, but it seems that when I take a few, I am right back where I started. I have about 40 days accrued, and with the time in, every month I get roughly 4-5 days. I could take two weeks off now, and by the middle to end of October, it will be as though I took none. And of course, I still feel like I need to take more time off. Bit of a paradox that one.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Actually this monday went fine for me. Last monday too. And the one before that.

I'm on the third week of a three-week vacation!

I fear the next monday, though...
    I hear you!

That's the bad thing about vacations - you get slapped with at least 5 consecutive Mondays when you get back.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

I don't have to worry about any calls getting done in my absence. In a one-man service department, everything waits until I return. I took a consecutive five days off this summer, and continue to regret it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

mjarbar
    It is the trouble with holiday's, though very welcome the work they cause when you get back means you are playing perpetual catch up, even worse when you are a one man band with no one to deligate to.

I've just come back from a week off to find no one has done **** all while I was away and now everything is mega urgent and has to be done yesterday. If it was that urgent why couldn't anyone do it yesterday!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

One year I took a nice 2 week vacation, and this is what happened when I got back:

1. 8 projects that could have been done by my techs (I trained them, I know what they can do) were waiting on me. When I asked one of my techs, she said the boss wanted me to do it because he didn't believe that any of them could. She asked if she could do it 3 times and he told her not to touch it.

2. They hired 1 warehouse person, operations manager, and an inventory control person (I'm not saying they're bad people) right before I went on vacation. All the procedures that took the rest of us 5 years to establish for things (seemingly unimportant to them) like, proper inventory management, quality control, and department communication were changed. That was 3 years ago and we still have problems with all three (worked like a well oiled machine before).

3. Then I had the usual parts that I had not trained anyone on yet and a long list of tech support questions to finish. That was expected, however.

Since then if I take more than 3 days off in a week, it's because I'm sick and even then, I'm calling in to make sure things are done right.

I love my job, thank God, but there are times I miss that go to work, do your job, and go home feeling I used have when I was a field tech. I was responsible for my service calls and that was it. Notice I did not say service manager. I don't miss that. Too much like being operations manager. You're in the middle in that job, crap runs downhill and rises up to your eyeballs at the same time. Here, I'm kind of like the oil that makes the machine work. It works without me, but not as well. Additionally, I can't figure out how I got all these extra jobs that have absolutely nothing to do with being a technician.

"Did you order the office supplies from Staples?"
    "You were late this morning, your supposed to be here to make the coffee."
    "The air conditioning in the breakroom went out again, can you see what you can do?"

oh and did I mention, this company has 3 owners who are all equally important...

"I need a service note written for this problem?"
    "Why are you doing a service note, we need these parts?"
    "Do those parts later, I have a tech support question on line 1?"
    "Why haven't you finished the service note already, we need that done today?"
    "Can you make a list of what exactly you do here, because we want to make sure it's cost effective?"

Can't take a service call to hide from them either. The good thing is I have 2 supervisors that let me run my department the way I want, defend what I do to the big 3, and are fun to work with. Plus, I don't get that bored having a variety of things to do. The big 3 don't like when I'm not here, so a random sick day, if I mention the time I quit one job without having another job to go to (had another job before I got home and not afraid to do it again if I have to), or ask them if they want my door key, usually straightens out the problems.

There are more positives than negatives, so far. When the negatives outweigh the positives, I'll go somewhere else. Besides, I'm getting a bit of vacation time in Sept. Can't wait...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

mjarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    "Did you order the office supplies from Staples?"
    "You were late this morning, your supposed to be here to make the coffee."
    "The air conditioning in the breakroom went out again, can you see what you can do?"
    My God do we have the same bosses

"The server is on the fritz have a look will you..."

"Can you talk...insert engineer...through...insert something you have never seen or touched...on...insert machine you have never heard of"

"Can you deliver 'x' to 'y' and install on network, we dont have any details but they say it's a simple system they have got...!!!"

After the last one I start running!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

I work on a small company, so right now it's just me and another tech. I'm the most experienced, since he's still in training. Fortunately my boss was a tech before, so he knows what to do, since he has more experience than I do. I still get asked sometimes to check something on my mail while on vacation, but my boss guaranteed me that he'd try not to bother me while on holliday, and he kept it so far.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

So now I have an RTF for one, I say again, one screw
    @TonerMunkeh, if i understand/translate this correct, you go out into this Field of Tripmines without carrying a little Box containing several screws, retaining rings and springs in your Toolbox?

i am shocked
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Additionally, I can't figure out how I got all these extra jobs that have absolutely nothing to do with being a technician.

AMEN!
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.