Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technician
    Hmm, well, let's see. First call of the day was a network install(Print, scan to email). I get there, and am told that everyone I need to talk to is on vacation. It was an appointment, but, meh, shit happens. So I get in the car, fill out my paperwork, and am half a second away from punching 'Depart' on my BB when the lady comes out and tells me she didn't know that the pastor had come in. So I head back in, and attempt to do my thing. Turns out, their internet is down. Not a major problem... in theory. In practice, their main PC's CD drive is inoperable, and it refuses to recognize either my flash drive or my BB. So, nope, nothing happening there. The secondary PC, well, the lady was on vacation and no one knows her password. I finally get on the pastor's PC, and am able to install at least one copy of printer driver someone, as well as peek at the settings for the mail server. Of course, it's outside the building, and they have no internet today, so who knows if it actually works. So 2 hours, and I get pretty much nothing done.
    Of course, while I'm banging my head on that wall, my call queue is slowly filling up. And lo and behold, my furthest out customer (approx 140 miles from the office, and half of that is not highway) has called in with a C6200 (fuser) code on her TA400ci. I call into the office, see if we have any fusers handy and am told no. I call the customer, see if I can talk her through looking for a paper wrap and running a reset, since something about the paper this customer uses is prone to that. She does so, and tells me the code comes right back. I check in with the office again, and am told to head up, and hopefully I'll get lucky. So I head north.
    About halfway there, dispatch calls me and sees how far I am, and tells me "Yes, we do have a fuser.":| Unfortunately, I'm far enough from either end that if I turn around, I won't make it up there until 1600 or so if I'm lucky. So I keep going. Finally get up there, and yep, there's a paper wrapped around the hot roller. Quietly thanking the copier gods, I remove the wrap and reset the fuser. Which promptly throws another code. :| So yep, now I need to spend about 6 hours and 300 miles of driving to replace a fuser, which is generally a 15 minute job. On the upside, one of the other techs who lives up by me was down there last night, and he's got the fuser for me, so that at least spares me the 70 mile drive to the office this morning.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herrmann View Post
    @TonerMunkeh, if i understand/translate this correct, you go out into this Field of Tripmines without carrying a little Box containing several screws, retaining rings and springs in your Toolbox?

i am shocked
    I do, but none that small. I was gutted!
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    of course the spring you loose will be unique in some way no matter how many you have.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    when it comes to springs, I have completely given up because there are so many different types, and it is usually the one I do not have in the stash.

Luckily, most of the screws for KM hardware are the same, so I do not have to have a screw for every occasion. A few large sized ones and a few small sized ones with a couple lengths each along with dark vs light coloured. About a dozen. As for clips, I keep a bunch of the plastic c-clips of assorted sizes in a small plastic bag in my wallet. If I find I need one, I know I will have one there.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
    I find going to the mall and putting slinkies on the escalators helps.

Do that one weekend for us and video and post it on utube, bet it would be a hit.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

fixthecopier
    of course the spring you loose will be unique in some way no matter how many you have.
    Anytime I see a post about springs in a service call I always think about the story of a big burly tech trying to replace a separation pad on the Tray 1 p/u asm for an HP 4000. One of the 2 little compression springs got away from him and he was down on all fours trying to find it. The entire time a secretary was watching him. Finally, after he had looked for it a while, she asked him if he was looking for a spring. "Yes, how did you know?" was his reply. "Because it's in your beard," was hers.

That one still cracks me up.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

Funny, funny!
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Anytime I see a post about springs in a service call I always think about the story of a big burly tech trying to replace a separation pad on the Tray 1 p/u asm for an HP 4000. One of the 2 little compression springs got away from him and he was down on all fours trying to find it. The entire time a secretary was watching him. Finally, after he had looked for it a while, she asked him if he was looking for a spring. "Yes, how did you know?" was his reply. "Because it's in your beard," was hers.

That one still cracks me up.

OMG, for a minute I thought you were talking about me today, only it was a Bizhub 501, and the spring was on the bottle detect lever, and was damn near microscopic. As I held it in my hand and said to myself something like "shit, look how small they are", I watched as one popped off and landed on dirty beige carpet. It was 15 min to find it and 15 to get it back on, me grumbling and muttering cuss words all the while about the asshole who designed this.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I got them Monday blues

Where is this lever so I know not to rip one out acidentally?! Wow!

Regards!
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by copytechman View Post
    Where is this lever so I know not to rip one out acidentally?! Wow!

Regards!
    A.

It sits on top of the back end of the toner bottle, after you remove the cover over the bottle holder, to detect the bottle is in. You have to lift it up to change the photocell.