• Sometimes

88 36.67%
  • Lunch, WTF is lunch!

67 27.92%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Do you stop work for lunch?

This depends on the individual technician and other factors. Like the saying goes “You can drag a horse to the river but you can’t force it to drink the water”. Both break fast and lunch taken at their proper times are very important meals. “Supper is not necessary”-doctors and nutritionists tell us; simply because the major metabolic functions of the body (including the digestive system) is “technically” speaking, "switched off" when we are asleep.

My personal experience is that whenever I do with very little or no supper I sleep very soundly and wake up very early and fresh. This enables me to do my day’s work very well; the reverse is also true.

Regardless of the work conditions, most employers regard lunch time for their employees as very important since it re-energizes them and ensures work efficiency. However most technicians prefer to skip their lunch preferring to finish the task at hand without” lunch interruptions “and instead have a late lunch usually snacks between 4-5 pm.

The nature of the work (Task) the technician is handling is also another decisive factor. For example a normal periodic maintenance or troubleshooting a fault. The latter requires more time and concentration on the part of the technician such that any distraction (inform of lunch break) is considered to be a draw back to the progress of the repair action.
    The bottom line is that for most techs you should use your power of judgment/discretion to decide depending on the task at hand.
    Years later on, as you progress (through promotion), from your role as a service engineer to technical sales engineer (TSE) or Field supervisor, through years of accumulated skills and experience you will notice that “The REPAIR PRESSURE” on you begins to EASE-OFF. This is because you may now be assigned a role in project engineering, maintenance or other senior management position.

You will NOW, as a TSE, apply your combined SALES and TECHNICAL SKILLS in support of the sales department. This will depend mostly on your ABILITY and DESIRE to work closely with the sales people and how good you are at VERBAL and WRITTEN communication skills.
    This is now the period when you will start to realize that you have some “FREE TIME” to spare for lunch at the restaurant. But as of now you have to sacrifice your lunch time for some future date “enjoyment”.
    WISH YOU LUCK.

Tech

Dinner

Lunch is one knee on the steering wheel one hand holding the phone and the other hand jamming food in my face rushing to the next fire!!!!!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PEPELEMU View Post
    Lunch is one knee on the steering wheel one hand holding the phone and the other hand jamming food in my face rushing to the next fire!!!!!
    And I though *I* was the only guy with knee-driving skills!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Yeah, the urge to 'steal' a quick bite at the doughnut, has forced all of us to learn and perfect on the 'knee driving technique'. that is how the life of a technician seems to be designed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    This is why I'm so glad I got out of the field...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Technician 50+ Posts spaniel ears's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEPELEMU View Post
    I used to be a big fan of the one knee steering method when I was a puppy, until one day I was doing about 60mph down the motorway whilst stuffing a Big Mac down my throat, so tasty was it in fact that I failed to notice the copper on a motorbike right alongside me about 2 foot away. Luckily for me he was on a call so he just gave me an angry scowl, gestured at me to put the burger down, then sped off. A lucky escape, so I figured I might not be so lucky next time and the bastards will take some money off me and put points on my license, so I stick to something that doesn't need 2 hands to eat it these days if I can.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    Sorry, but there isn't a service call so important that it won't wait for 20 or 30 minutes whether I eat or not I take a break. Of course I was young and foolish once too, not so much anymore.

ieeeee 50+ Posts
    My work gives the tech's "30 minutes" to eat. But it seems everyone here brings in there lunch. I try and snag something in between calls. As we bascily get paid for the more calls we make. My last company gave me an hour which was amazing. Had time to eat and relax for a bit.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Our working ours are 9:00-12:30 and 14:00-18:30, which basically means we have 1:30h for lunch. Most of the times I use them for lunch a relax a bit before heading back to work, although there are days where I prefer to get some work done.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

personally l started working at 8:00 in morning ..at 12:00 l stop lunching with my family ..next l take some tea ..at 13:00 l do my prayer after there at 14:00 l continue my work to 18:30 l finished there ...but sometimes l finished at 18:30 and l come back still later time for urgently reparation to copiers ..
    BEST TECHNICIAN . NICE PEOPLE .