• Sometimes

88 36.67%
  • Lunch, WTF is lunch!

67 27.92%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Re: Do you stop work for lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Sometimes I find it difficult to stop lunch for work.
    Lol...

'Sometimes' seems to be typical, and I guess I'm no different.

When I was a young Toner Sucker, a Snickers bar while driving, another cup of coffee and a smoke was the order of the day.

I've run the cycle of no-lunch, to always, to when I can...

IMO, consistantly not taking a short work stoppage for lunch is a good way to burn out. But the fashionable mandatory hour-long breaks seem counterproductive to me. One develops a pace, and any more than 30 minutes for me interrupts that cadence. However, I am allotted a full hour. Occasionally, I take it. Doesn't hurt my feelings but, predictably, I have to reestablish my pace.

I find it annoying that a company would send the mixed message of requiring a mandatory lunch hour to satisfy the lawyers, yet frown on the practice behind the scenes. Stick with one message.

-I

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ianizer View Post
    I find it annoying that a company would send the mixed message of requiring a mandatory lunch hour to satisfy the lawyers, yet frown on the practice behind the scenes. Stick with one message.

-I
    From what I can see, this is carried over from a time where there was a lot more flexibility and give and take, i.e you work through lunch but you can go home a corresponding amount of time earlier.

It's just now they've closed the door on early finishes with a computerised dispatch system, but now they've come to take for granted the extra productivity of techs taking a minimal lunch break, also with tight responses on some contracts it's basically accepted that you don't take more than 5-10 mins out to eat..... well as long as the lawyers aren't in earshot.

It's not that anyone particularly wants to work through.... there's just a feeling that with job security as uncertain as it is, if you don't work through but the other guy will, then it's you who's going to get canned when the axe eventually falls.

It's cowardly and dishonest, it does nothing for morale, but I'm not under any illusions that there is anyone senior who gives a shit. I for one will be gone as soon as I have an exit strategy because here you are nothing but a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie1981 View Post
    ...but now they've come to take for granted the extra productivity of techs taking a minimal lunch break...
    Ah, and that's hit on the real matter, hasn't it?

More computerization tends to lock things down into an "unalterable" state... Or, does it just provide a good excuse to satisfy the tax and civil rights attorneys, while washing ones hands of internal pushback?

It's fine. I get it. And let's face it, abuses do occur. When it gets to be a problem, something must be done. Different entities deal with it in different ways.
    But there is the Law of Unintended Consequences...
    While flexibility certainly affords room for abuses, it also has its benefits, as we've discussed here.
    Can't always have your cake and eat it too...

-I

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ianizer View Post
    Ah, and that's hit on the real matter, hasn't it?

More computerization tends to lock things down into an "unalterable" state... Or, does it just provide a good excuse to satisfy the tax and civil rights attorneys, while washing ones hands of internal pushback?

It's fine. I get it. And let's face it, abuses do occur. When it gets to be a problem, something must be done. Different entities deal with it in different ways.
    But there is the Law of Unintended Consequences...
    While flexibility certainly affords room for abuses, it also has its benefits, as we've discussed here.
    Can't always have your cake and eat it too...

-I
    The funny thing about computerised systems is ... they are always introduced as a means of "streamlining workflow", "improving efficiency" and "facilitating flexibility" but it seems to me that by and large they end up achieving the opposite. When more can be achieved with a five minute phonecall to a well trained dispatcher than can in 30 minutes of fruitless dicking about with a laptop computer, a company has taken a distinct step backwards. However, despite the complaining I have done on this thread, there are folks out there who I have witnessed first hand, have it a lot worse.

Being a copier tech puts you in a somewhat unique position .... who else gets to be such a fly on the wall in other people's workplaces?

I've seen the difference in workplaces in general as I'm guessing we probably all have, both in the public and private sectors prior to, during and after the economic crash and the one thing that seems far more ubiquitous now is fear, jobs are being cut, companies are downsizing and public sector workers are being laid off in droves to plug the huge gap in government finances. No-one has the stomach to complain now whereas they may well have done two or three years ago.

I don't know if things are levelling out more now in the U.S, but here in the U.K despite politicians talking crap about "recovery" and "growth", things still seem very much still on a downward spiral.

I don't know about 'leveling out', but firms do seem to be getting slightly less mileage out of the You're-Lucky-To-Have-A-Job card... Though, I do consider myself fortunate to be working: plenty enough aren't.

It is best -- in keeping with our topic -- to *break* conservatively and to *fix* liberally. One ought to record one's time carefully; accountability tracking is at an all time high. Such is just the way of things... We have a saying here in the Colonies: You can't fight City Hall.

-I
    My name Peggy.
    You got problem?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Do you stop work for lunch?

I've seen it with breaks, without breaks, with half an hour and with an hour. What I've seen from a Service Manager's viewpoint. People who get 1 hour lunches, get more done. Even if they have an hour for lunch and have to work 30 min more in the day to get it. One of the most productive places I've worked, did that very thing. Techs would eat in 15 -20 min, then go lay down in the car and take a nap for the remaining time. Yes, it does throw off the rhythm a bit, but in no time flat they've made it up and cranked out more work than they would have working straight through. They were also happier. Can't seem to get the company here to see that. You are encouraged to have a break and then told that everyone else in the company volunteered to eat on the run (or eat at your desk, if you're sales people). I found out, that all the volunteers no longer work for the company. So I insist that my people take at least 30 min. You got to have downtime.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

We take an hour for lunch. Anytime between 11 & 2pm. Not supposed to get paid for that hour, so I take the full hour for the most part. Sometimes I'll cut it short cause I hate sitting still. But there are days I cherish that full hour and use it to the fullest. Once in a while I'll get a call on the way or near my house, and stop there for lunch. Recently the company tried to be cheap and wanted us to take a lunch hour, but wanted to include the drive time in it eg: drive to lunch then drive to next call. As part of lunch hour... However that did not happen, because we're never that busy. And we're supposed to get paid for drive time etc.. Depending on work load or drive time that could be flexible. Ideally 15-20 minute lunch is fine with me, but I roll with the 1hr ok. A break at some point is always needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    We take an hour for lunch. Anytime between 11 & 2pm. Not supposed to get paid for that hour, so I take the full hour for the most part. Sometimes I'll cut it short cause I hate sitting still. But there are days I cherish that full hour and use it to the fullest. Once in a while I'll get a call on the way or near my house, and stop there for lunch. Recently the company tried to be cheap and wanted us to take a lunch hour, but wanted to include the drive time in it eg: drive to lunch then drive to next call. As part of lunch hour... However that did not happen, because we're never that busy. And we're supposed to get paid for drive time etc.. Depending on work load or drive time that could be flexible. Ideally 15-20 minute lunch is fine with me, but I roll with the 1hr ok. A break at some point is always needed.
    About where I'm at.
    -I

Yes, 15 minutes before 10:00 o'clock

tokendog

Most of the time depends on work load and my sanity really.