Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    That combined with a super charger torqued the motor so much, one of the rear wheels sheered its lugs and threw a tire at about 85 mph on a back country road. good times.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Got pulled one time and the officer ask if I knew how fast I was going. I said no, and pointed to the speed odometer needle and mentioned that it was pegged out and stuck past the 120mph mark. He was not impressed, and wrote me for 20 over and improper equipment.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

hey, I'm testing now acetone fuel in my Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Submit the idea to mythbusters and let them try it out. Don't guinea pig your own car...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Mythbusters apparently did it in the exploding pants episode. I never saw it, but I am sure that rerun will show up eventually.

Along with the many opinions, there was mention about the mythbusters doing just this.

Granted, they can come up with some pretty good stuff, but over the years of seeing this show, I have learned that they sometimes do not do the tests correctly or take too much leeway.

I'm more interested in knowing someone who tried this first hand and what they may say, though the conversation is still open to opinion.

The following speaks about basic additives commonly seen...

And this video shows one experiment using acetone. I have issues with the test, the guy did not do a controlled test with the right ratio, but it still illustrates an interesting result.

Though not enough for me to want to have a go of it.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Acetone or not to Acetone: The fuel mileage debate rages on....

The water injection idea does work, but you have to rebuild the engine to take advantage of it. If you increase the compression ratio in an engine you increase the horsepower output and efficiency, but the side effect is preignition - commonly called engine knock, and it will destroy a gasoline engine. There are various methods of changing compression rations but all involve changing the pistons and/or heads, and require pretty much a complete tear down.

The more you compress the fuel/air mixture, the hotter it gets - if it gets too hot it will ignite before the spark plug fires when the engine is ready for it. This places huge stress on the engine, and gasoline engines are just not designed to handle this.

Diesel engines are different - that is how the fuel is supposed to ignite in a diesel, and its one of the reasons why they run so much more efficiently. It is also one of the reasons they last so much better, because they MUST be designed much tougher. Gas engines rarely have a compression ratio over 11:1, while diesels won't even start if they have anything less than 16:1 and can range as high as 30:1

Injecting water into the mixture helps keep the temperature low enough so engine knock does not occur, but allows you to run a much higher compression ratio.

Other fuels also have a higher ignition temperature, and therefore can run at higher compression - an engine optimized for propane can run up to 14.5:1

So technically the answer is yes, water injection can increase your fuel economy, but only if you modify the engine to take advantage of it.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Shadow. That explains a lot. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    One ounce of acetone mixed with 10 gallons of gas. Doesn't 10 gallons equal 1280 ounces? I cant see how the one ounce would do anything helpful or hurtful considering the mixture ratio. But I'll let someone else try it first =)

Second official day on this site...great place so far. Was glad to see there is a place for off topic stuff.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Diesel engines have been using propane enrichment for years to improve efficiency at rates much lower than 1280:1. Propane acts as a catalyst to ignite the fuel more efficiently. It really doesn't matter how much acetone you mix in depending on what it's supposed to do to improve your economy. I don't know the theory behind what it's supposed to do, so I can't say.

I do know Acetone is very toxic, and even exposure to small amounts are supposed to increase your risk of cancer. I'm not messing with the stuff.
    73 DE W5SSJ

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Yes. Acetone is pretty toxic. Odd that manicurists use this stuff fairly regularly...or at least, a diluted variant to it.

Apparently, acetone is supposed to to gas what you say propane does to diesel.

The following link is where I first stumbled upon this...it gives quite a detailed explanation. Unfortunately I did not take chemical engineering, like a fool I took electronics engineering instead.

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.