Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar

Acetone or not to Acetone: The fuel mileage debate rages on....

Saw a website that purports increased fuel mileage by using an ounce (20ml) of Acetone to 10 gallons (37l) of fuel.

There is plenty of anecdotes on the subject. Conspiracy this and hogwash that.

What got me to wonder was, is adding Acetone harmful. I mean, from a personal point of view, if it is not harmful to the car, I may try it for my own piece of mind. If it works for me or not is not the important question.

Has anyone else here heard of this and tried it? And better, have any of you who tried it noted any damage to the fuel system?

And of course, it goes without saying, what were your results?
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Well, if you use it, don't spill it on the car. It will remove the paint down to the bare metal. I know from experience.

OMD-227
    Why?

You'd have a fully maintained company vehicle surely. Why bother?

Similar story a few years ago was going around here..... Placing magnets in specific areas on the outside of the engine block was supposed to get better fuel mileage......

oooh yeah..... sure.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I seem to remember something about water injectors for improving fuel economy. What ever happened with that? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I seem to remember something about water injectors for improving fuel economy. What ever happened with that? =^..^=
    Water injection is sometimes used in racing engines. It helps control combustion chamber temperature and provides increased peak cylinder pressure (read more torque). It also has the added bonus of actually helping clean an engine's combustion chamber and valves, no BS. Actually got that tidbit from my father, a mechanic of 30 years and he's even shown me the results, quite dramatic. I can't speak for effects on mileage, but I don't know if you'd want to do it continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Why?

You'd have a fully maintained company vehicle surely. Why bother?

Similar story a few years ago was going around here..... Placing magnets in specific areas on the outside of the engine block was supposed to get better fuel mileage......

oooh yeah..... sure.
    Actually, I own the car. The purpose of doing this, according to what I had read, was to increase the fuel economy, in many cases from anecdotes of some people who commented on some of these sites was a significant increase. There is a lot of contention on the issue out there. As I said, some people swear by it, while others dispute it. Who is right and who is wrong, on the net, is sometimes hard to discern. I do not know any of the respondents on those pages. For all I know, one guy wrote all the pros and another guy wrote all the cons.

My curiosity is simply to know if anyone here tried this and what they might have experienced. If I can gain some fuel economy from this, great. But if not, I would like to know that too. But what I really want to know is, will it hurt the car. The experiences of others may shed light.

Incidently, placing a magnet on the oil pan itself, one of those rare earth ones, helps reduce the amount of metal floating around in the oil. I know this was of huge benefit to older cars. Wear and tear on the steel parts left floating debris in the oil. Magnets capture and hold the debris. I did this for my 92 olds sierra, on both the engine pan and the transmission pan. How much it benefited me is debatable, but I did get half a million out of both without major service. In fact, the car was still running great when I traded it in last summer for the new car. Mileage gain from this? I doubt that.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Water injection is sometimes used in racing engines. It helps control combustion chamber temperature and provides increased peak cylinder pressure (read more torque). It also has the added bonus of actually helping clean an engine's combustion chamber and valves, no BS. Actually got that tidbit from my father, a mechanic of 30 years and he's even shown me the results, quite dramatic. I can't speak for effects on mileage, but I don't know if you'd want to do it continuously.
    I heard about this too. Mileage was a minor benefit, but power increased dramatically. Perhaps a byproduct of the added torque is increased economy? In a racing engine, I would think the latter was of little consequence, aside from extending a fuel pit stop perhaps.
    ---Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    Well, if you use it, don't spill it on the car. It will remove the paint down to the bare metal. I know from experience.

This I have read elsewhere. Also that acetone is pretty toxic, to avoid breathing it in. I recall my dad had some of this....he used to do janitorial work....good for dealing with gum apparently. I sniffed some, not knowing what it was...gave me a buzz for about a minute....
    ---Groucho Marx

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I used to pour rubbing alcohol in my 67 SS Chevelle. Helped remove water from the gas.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Of course I am not an example of what to do. I used to go to the local small airport and get airplane feul and mix with my gas in the heavy chevy. Talk about octane boost.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking