Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

Fun little calls...ever have any like this?

Went out on a Voyager call the other day because it was supposed to be printing random smiley faces.

When the customer showed me the example, I knew I had seen this before. Went to the machine and opened the paper tray. Turned the paper over. About 1/4 ream of the paper on the underside had random characters printed on it from a jam reset sometime.
    Someone decided to recycle or something I guess.

After a little training I don't think they will call for that again.

"Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    I had something similar happen once, except it was little holes torn in the copies. The customer thought that the copier was putting holes in the paper when actually the holes were already there. They had a couple of reams of paper that had gotten past QA with some little holes torn on random sheets.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, PostScript errors.

I've got 4 or 5 Stratos machines that print off a 600+ pg PostScript error print job, usually each morning ~6:00 am. I've provided IT with a couple of CF cards set up to data capture. I'll be interested in seeing the first 20 lines of code in PJL. That will include the sender (hostname = asset number), emulation, & document name. With that information we should be able to narrow down the source. The funny thing is it only affects the Stratos, not Falcon III, not Harrier, not VoyagerE. I checked emulation. The drivers are set for PCL XL, and the print card is set to Auto Emulation, so we shouldn't be seeing PostScript errors. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Yup, had almost the exact same issue a year or so ago.

The shipping department of a somewhat large account had a total a$$hole in charge. I mean this guy was bad news - he was 72 years old (or so they told me), and had it out for everybody. A total jerk.

(I don't work on machines, at least per se. I was asked to get involved because the nature of the call made everyone think this was a mainframe printing issue.)

He was bitching up a storm that he wanted is new Ricoh MPC2550 replaced, because it was printing random characters when printing, sometimes on both sides of the page. (They never made copies with it - it was only used as a printer.)

When I pulled the paper out of the drawer, and showed said numbnuts what I found, he said, "Yeah, I pulled that paper from our old machine. I thought the IT guys fixed that."

Of course, there was no apology to be found anywhere.

What a jerkweed!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Didn't I see somewhere here that there was a prank for the shop. Guy setting up new machine turns his back long enough for second guy to load paper into the machine preprinted with sky shots?
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    When the customer showed me the example, I knew I had seen this before. Went to the machine and opened the paper tray. Turned the paper over. About 1/4 ream of the paper on the underside had random characters printed on it from a jam reset sometime.
    Someone decided to recycle or something I guess.

Nice to have some one who cares about resources enough
    to not waste them.

I had one nice lady come and ask me if I would mind using
    both sides of paper to run my tests.....only if it did not cause me
    any trouble. No trouble! Used both side! Satisfaction!

This occurred at the Western Canada Aviation Museum which I enjoyed
    visiting periodically. I knew that they sold memberships to the museum,
    although I didn't know the price. I was so pleased to meet a caring person,
    that I bought a membership. This happened in 1988/1989 and I have
    been a loyal member since.

At one time I got a phone call from a small department at the U of Winnipeg
    asking if I would answer some questions about me and the museum. My favourite museum at that. I was pleased to answer their questions and when they asked
    me why I joined the museum I told them that same story. Only comment was
    that was an unusual reason to join, but they were happy that I did.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Yep, the first time I got the call for an image in the back of every document, I spent 15 minutes overthinking it, the second time I opened the tray and took the printed paper out.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My last day working for a dealer I made copies of a paperclip and put those sheets in random drawers and sizes.
    The owner had a demo that afternoon and flipped out because he thought a paper clip was stuck in the machine.
    The service manager took 30 minutes to "repair" it and called me later to give me hell.
    What did I care, it was my last day.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    I know I've posted this before, but it might be worth a repeat. Got a call for constant jamming on a fax machine. When I arrived I found they had put some old paper in rather than throw it away. This was a plain paper fax and they had put a stack of fan fold paper in.

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar
    I went on a call for crooked copies on a Panasonic 3530 that was fun. Turns out the customer had managed to shut the side door improperly and only catch one of the latches, so the transport rollers weren't engaged correctly. Took me all of 1 minute to see the problem and shut the door properly. Calls that take under 10 minutes are always the best.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.