Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Anybody else have this issue with user codes?

Hi, all,

Does anyone else have this issue?

We do an installation, (normally on a Ricoh MFP), and nothing is ever mentioned about setting up user codes.

Our trainer goes in and does her training, and a few days later we get a call that they all of a sudden can't print.

Why? She goes and turns user codes on, but stops there. While she gets the Windows users set up OK, she forgets about the Macs, and anything that resembles a mainframe (such as AS400, SAP, Oracle, whatever...).

While this doesn't happen too often, but it's a picnic when it does.

Just wonderin' .
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

My favorite thing is setting up literally thousands of unique user codes, on 6 or 7 dozen machines, then a week later: "The codes are too inconvenient. Can we turn them off now?" =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Yup. Had to 'educate' our trainer on more than a couple of time regarding these types of issues. Sometime it is also a 'smart' end user who goes in and turns things on or off and then wonders why they are not able to do things. I step back, take a breath and do my best not to loose my mind...

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Yeah, we get it every now and then. I usually tell the customer that it's a pain to do and and they'll probably see a lot of us over the next week or two. (which they usually do)

I guess the question lies on who has to deal with it? The trainer or the tech?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    At my shop, the trainer is the tech. In a lot of cases on the military base, they would only set up 1 code for everybody, and after a while it will wind up wrote on the control panel in Sharpie.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    At my shop, the trainer is the tech. In a lot of cases on the military base, they would only set up 1 code for everybody, and after a while it will wind up wrote on the control panel in Sharpie.
    I see that all the time, especially in the hospitals. Usually when the codes are posted near the machine it is more of a departmental accounting thing than really trying to restrict users. We have some accounts that use either windows authentication or print director if they really want only real users to have access.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Cannot say this happens often here in Calgary. We have several customers who use this. And a few even use it for billing control. Our trainer is well versed in how to use the feature and pass this info on, with the exception on how the use Data Administrator, which I install and show the key op how to use.

Now on the other hand, using the biometric device....first generation ones did not work so well, so customers talked into buying one would disable it all together. The new ones are far far better and reliable, but now the sales reps are afraid to sell the option.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    At least in Ricoh land, it appears that user codes (and other authentication) is not a part of basic service training.

A few weeks ago, I foolishly asked a few techs in our our office what they know about it (other than the lead techs), and got a bunch of blank stares.

Now I have been tasked with training these guys on the subject.

Me and my big mouth.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There should be a babysitter charge or a too lazy to open the manual charge.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    Now on the other hand, using the biometric device....first generation ones did not work so well, so customers talked into buying one would disable it all together. The new ones are far far better and reliable, but now the sales reps are afraid to sell the option.
    OMG they sucked something BAD. We sold like 8 boxes with the bio unit on them, and all of them we just turned it off. It would just flat out not work or lock up the machine. No amount of flashing and playing would get it working.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.