Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: female techs?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar
    I don't wear a lot of make up either, only really when I'm going out.
    I'm not embarrassed to ask for help if it's something heavy either, but I don't like working on really small machines, they're far too fiddly for me, I work for Ricoh now and I quite like the MP8000 (which is high volume) and the MPC5000. I find taking apart larger machines is much easier as the parts aren't so cramped in.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I don't wear a lot of make up either, only really when I'm going out.
    I'm not embarrassed to ask for help if it's something heavy either, but I don't like working on really small machines, they're far too fiddly for me, I work for Ricoh now and I quite like the MP8000 (which is high volume) and the MPC5000. I find taking apart larger machines is much easier as the parts aren't so cramped in.
    That's a really good point. Especially on models where there's slide out platforms...it makes getting into parts a lot easier, especially fusers. I think some of the most miserable fusers I had to deal with were on desktop laser printers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    female techs?

I find taking apart larger machines is much easier as the parts aren't so cramped in.
    I find most techs would agree with that, including me. I have smaller hands than guys do (because I'm a girl) so it's easier and I seem to have more patience than most of them.

it makes getting into parts a lot easier, especially fusers. I think some of the most miserable fusers I had to deal with were on desktop laser printers.
    I had to laugh at myself when a client was taken on a tour at the company where I worked before this one. All the guy techs were working on the big machines and I was working on this tiny desktop model. The client naturally assumed that the big machines were the "real" ones and more difficult to work on. It's actually the other way around. Small machines aren't designed to be worked on because they are throw away machines. It's more difficult to disassemble and easier to break something just trying to clean it, than a major repair on a big machine.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I find most techs would agree with that, including me. I have smaller hands than guys do (because I'm a girl) so it's easier and I seem to have more patience than most of them.

I had to laugh at myself when a client was taken on a tour at the company where I worked before this one. All the guy techs were working on the big machines and I was working on this tiny desktop model. The client naturally assumed that the big machines were the "real" ones and more difficult to work on. It's actually the other way around. Small machines aren't designed to be worked on because they are throw away machines. It's more difficult to disassemble and easier to break something just trying to clean it, than a major repair on a big machine.

You remind me of the lady who has a work bench behind me. When my daughter dropped a pen in the $75 ink jet, I wound up taking it in to Kathy, because I was about to rip it apart.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

female techs?

[QUOTE=Debs1964;174136]I don't wear a lot of make up either,QUOTE]

We discourage our guys from wearing make up on the job as well, how ever there was a bit of a ruckus when there was a mix up with the shirt order for the male techs and admin girls. Some of the techs objected to wearing lolly pink shirts but others didn’t mind showing their feminine side!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

OMD-227
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    We discourage our guys from wearing make up on the job as well, how ever there was a bit of a ruckus when there was a mix up with the shirt order for the male techs and admin girls. Some of the techs objected to wearing lolly pink shirts but others didn’t mind showing their feminine side!
    You get all types up there hey Lagonda!

female techs?

Some of the techs objected to wearing lolly pink shirts but others didn’t mind showing their feminine side!
    Some men look really good in pink and are manly men. I used to work with a guy that loved all kinds of bright colors. He wasn't concerned about his manhood and had more office girls (client sites) numbers than any tech I ever worked with. I had to cover for him when he was on vacation and they really loved him. Disappointed they had to look at me. After I had related this story to everyone at work and he came back, none of other techs ever ribbed him again for his flashy shirts.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Re: female techs?

I have been a tech for 25 years. I have only met one other female lol. We are far a few between for sure

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Here i know of only one female tech. She works with Kyocera-Mita, She's a very good tech and has risen through the ranks to become now one of the senior managers in the company. Our universities & colleges here graduate quiet a number of female engineers & techs, but I for one don't see them doing technical work in the field. This is a good thread, I will need to do some basic research to find out 'what really happens to these girls after their graduation'.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

ive never seen a female tec and ive been doing this since the early 90's. I did have a female heating service engineer fix my boiler this year and its the best its ever been after she left. My view if your good enough to do the job fine by me. seen to many crap male engineers to give a dam about the male only job argument.