Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

Re: What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Having worked on Fort Bragg for almost 20 years, I am really disappointed that I never found one with real bullet holes in it. Threats were made, but noone followed through.
    The closest I came to that was a forking.

Typical on Canons of the 90's (i.e NP2120), the fan grills would start to crack and break apart from the vented heat, and since they were part of the cover the fan grill became a gaping hole. So when I saw the rectangular hole I wasn't surprised, until I noticed that the fuser squirrel-cage fan wouldn't turn. Once removed, you could see the signature forklift mark ~4 1/4" wide x 1 1/2" high, tapering to a point. I've made a few forklift marks like that ... once in a vertical I-beam set in concrete, once in a block wall (technically twice: two marks), so I recognized it immediately. It's a little disconcerting to stop that suddenly, so I remember those occasions clearly.

If you've ever cleaned these squirrel-cage fans of the analog age you'll know that you shouldn't overspin them vacuuming because they'll balloon, and become unbalanced, and it's really hard to re-balance them once unbalanced. It made a fun wow-wow-wow sound spinning up, then settled into a steady white noise. I was overall pleased with getting it to work at all. It wasn't uncommon to have these fans seize from the proximity and heat with the fuser. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

Just before tax season got busy this year, one of our H & R Block customers called in and wanted their old Savin 9935 worked on and cleaned up for the season, also said it was jamming from tray 1 and destroying paper. I go to test tray one, and it jams right away. Pull out the mangled paper, and try again...Same result. So I remove tray one so I can inspect the feed rollers. I'm feeling around in there and notice something isn't right. I get My flashlight out to check what the problem is, and I see something bound up in one of the feed rolls (one of the feed rolls being torn apart). I grab my pliers and pull out the obstruction, as I'm bringing it closer to my face to see what it is, I realize it's a BUG!! I drop it and my pliers and back my head out a little. Then I realize it was a good-size FAKE FLY!!! One of the tax people in the office was known to play pranks on others in the office, and this must've been one of his props. Needless to say, he payed for new feed rolls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Reviving this thread to add my 2 cents worth.

In 31 years, 2 dead mice found in machines, both within my first 5 or 6 years of servicing copiers. Both were found in the same model of machine, the Minolta EP450Z.

The first call (at a manufacturing facility) was for "It smells like something is burning!". Me: "Well, ma'am, that would be the dead, crispy mouse caught between both fuser rollers. Here it is- see?".

Second call was for "It smells like something dead in our machine!". I get there (a construction sight mobile home) to discover the dead mouse with it's tail caught in the drive system near the fuser.

There have been various other common things including stick pens, staples and paper clips, but if you work in the biz more than a week, you'll come across that stuff.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

spatula in side copier.

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    spatula in side copier.
    That is scary stuff.

Ostrich feathers from feather dusters cased a couple of calls for me.
    Whatever