Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    General Manager 50+ Posts copyruss's Avatar
    May have one that tops everyone for perhaps the grossest. Have seen the mice, lizards, bird crap, coins, buttons, etc. This was a 6-month old Lanier 5455 in the teacher's lounge at a Cleveland Municipal High School down in the hood. Tech called me to come see this because i wasn't going to believe it. Someone had obviously pissed in the bypass, pouring through the feed & transport sections and the duplex unit & bottom of the frame were drowning in pee. the stench was unbelievable. Told them they just bought a brand new machine (which they did). They asked if it could be cleaned. I said not by us and we would never work on it again even if it was. We shrink wrapped it and their workers took it off to some warehouse and never saw or heard from it again. Probably sold it on eBay or else still sitting in that warehouse.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copyruss View Post
    May have one that tops everyone for perhaps the grossest. Have seen the mice, lizards, bird crap, coins, buttons, etc. This was a 6-month old Lanier 5455 in the teacher's lounge at a Cleveland Municipal High School down in the hood. Tech called me to come see this because i wasn't going to believe it. Someone had obviously pissed in the bypass, pouring through the feed & transport sections and the duplex unit & bottom of the frame were drowning in pee. the stench was unbelievable. Told them they just bought a brand new machine (which they did). They asked if it could be cleaned. I said not by us and we would never work on it again even if it was. We shrink wrapped it and their workers took it off to some warehouse and never saw or heard from it again. Probably sold it on eBay or else still sitting in that warehouse.
    We had a similar situation with a copier in a nursing home... obviously someone confused the copier for a urinal. But we didn't realize this until one of our techs brought it in-house and stripped it down... it was DISGUSTING!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Customer called in cause their fax machine was dead, no power. Found a mouse on the HVPS. Crispy little critter.

Another called in on a FP-7722 that needed "cleaning". They were doing construction on the floor above and concrete had leaked down through the ceiling into the optics box. That was years ago and they still use that thing.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

I know you'll have trouble believing me on this one, but once, a long time ago, I went to a customer who had - imagine that! - proper high quality dry paper on the trays.

I couldn't believe my eyes!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    I know you'll have trouble believing me on this one, but once, a long time ago, I went to a customer who had - imagine that! - proper high quality dry paper on the trays.

And then you woke up and it was all a dream!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oztech View Post
    And then you woke up and it was all a dream!
    ...and you were probably all wet.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    - 5 tiny eggs of 'something' tucked in the fixing unit of a Canon NP6220, just below the lower pressure roller on the metal base. At first couldn't figure out how those eggs got in there; with puzzled look in our eyes, both me and the machine operator thought it was some " JUJU" sort of, until a few seconds later we saw the mother lizard crawling lazily towards its eggs. We burst into laughter !

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

Did I mention the letter opener? It was a Mita DC-2255 at a law firm.

The initial call was for 1/2 blank copies. On reading the call I had imagined problems with image registration, side blanking, original size detection, ... the usual stuff. When I arrived, they showed me copies in which there was truly a half a page of print, but the odd thing was that the rear side of the image was fully there, and the front side completely blank. Very Odd!

Upon disassembly I found a letter opener that had been sitting on the right side of the machine, just over the bypass. It had found it's way down gradually, through the bypass, all the way up to the drum. It had acted like the bit on a lathe, and had literally cut the drum lengthwise in half. The "D" shaped shaft kept turning in the rear, but the front had real reason to turn, so it didn't.

After changing out the drum, and billing this customer for drum, blade and service call, they took that letter opener and put it right back on the edge of the top cover. "That's where he wants it." I just shrugged. If they don't mind paying I don't mind fixing, even stupid, avoidable stuff. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Pieces of flesh after some person tried to take a picture of there ass!!! LOL this was at a plywood mill! they also bent the scanner rails 1100.00 dollor fix!! nobody fessed up!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post

Good one!

I love they way they all think we're shopping cart-pushing, tinfoil hat-wearing nutjobs the minute any of us mention their occasional skew/hiccup/wad of circularly curled up copies MIGHT be the paper's fault, or at least a factor??
    Never get tired of that.
    Show 'em the lumps, run your own paper, half of them STILL won't believe it. They just think we're incompetent because we can't fix their damp or badly damaged paper. "Come on, there's got to be some button you can push!!"

BTW I never get tired of your (lifted from mascan) tag line...but now that I'm also salesman as well as tech., I'm TURNING INTO AN ASSHOLE!! Don't do sales if you like being nice to people! Sales REQUIRES being one.