Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

Re: What's the weirdest thing that you have ever found inside a copier,printer?

Sometime around August or September of 2013, I attended a call at a nursing home with an MX2300N colour machine. At first glance I could see something was off, there were dark liquid spill stains on the machine. No big deal, or so I thought. I opened the front door and then it hit me; the smell of moldy old coca-cola. They had spilled a lot of it right on the top of the front door, the very narrow gap between the front door and the frame of the machine.

Rather than doing the logical thing and, you know, clean it up; they opted to leave it there. A little clean up, a minute to clear my head of the obsessive compulsive demons demanding I go wash my hands because god only knows what else could be growing here. I then made the mistake of looking for more of this mess, because the path of carnage did not stop at the front door, looking at the spill pattern (thank you CSI) I could see the spill continued on its gravity fed downward path. That was when I opened up the paper trays... Big mistake.

Under the lift plate of both trays, in the small cavity between the base of the tray and the lift plate, the coke had settled into its nice dark humid spot and grew bacterial colonies at the base of the paper trays. What would have originally just been a pool of coke in the trays had congealed into a thick, syrupy, mess of mold and bacteria. I told them I would not be cleaning it up and could bring replacement paper trays next time I'm in the area if they wished, but the manager of the site (who had been on vacation the last few weeks and had just returned the day of my visit) said the staff would be cleaning up their mess as they should have done originally.

It was pretty satisfying to hear they would be cleaning up the mess they should have cleaned up in the first place; I didn't have any rubber/plastic gloves that would have permitted me to clean it up myself (OCD, even while managed, is still a terrible, terrible thing). Presently the weirdest thing I've found inside a copier; can't say it compares to some of the other things I've read in this thread but definitely weird/gross in its own right.

Oh, and there was also a call in the boonies of the southern end of the province where a secretary had lost a pendant from a necklace inside her copier. She didn't bother to look herself but damned if anyone else even thought about touching that machine while her pendant was trapped inside it. A pitbull's lockjaw couldn't compare to this secretary fighting off staff to keep them away from the copier.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ikon Princess View Post
    A live rat! I screamed he ran nobody in the office came in to find out why their tech was screaming. people kill me.
    Love the avatar Princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Love the avatar Princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +1
    Is there a like button for avatars?
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    We used to have a Mita DC-2055 in a concrete manufacturing plant office. Even though cheesecloth was covering every vent, it made no difference...
    Same here, we have an MP C3000 installed at a precast concrete manufacturer. I've never seen so much grey dust everywhere. Literally feel like I need a shower whenever I leave there.
    As a smoker, even I was worried by the amount of dust they must be inhaling.

I've PM'd that baby twice (every month and half), and it hasn't even reached its life yet.

... ... ... ... ...

As for weird things inside copiers. I don't think this rivals some of the ones you guys have had, but I got called to a fusing issue and found the wrapper for a ream of paper wrapped around the hot roller. I found the actual paper stacked next to the machine and nobody could tell me why it was only loaded with a wrapper.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

a couple years ago I was servicing a small OKI desktop mfp. call was for a jam they couldn't find. Nursing home at the nurses station, what I found was a paper printed 100 mm printed ruler( from some pharmaceuticals) that slipped into the bypass feed. It was 100 mm x 10 mm fed in short edge and stuck @ the reg sensor gap............. No one new from where it came??????????????????????
    These are the people that administer our drugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Once had a machine brought in for shop repair with a complaint for an odor. When I took it apart there was a very large spider in the upper fuser who was cooking every time the machine was turned on. It reaked.

2Ltimmy

I the early 80's i worked on Cannon copiers, was called to the sheriffs department early on Monday morning, the machine would not pick up paper.
    Upon arrival I removed the paper cassette and dumped out a pot pipe! I guess some one didn't want to get caught holding.

Technician

A chocolate covered raisin in the document feeder of a Brother MFP.

Double A battery, Chicken bones and ostrich feathers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I opened up a 42" HP scanner to find someone's tools and assorted screws and bits. I kept the screw driver for several years. It was pretty nice.

I opened a HP Designjet 500 to find a whole sticky notepad stuck in the service station.

Kiran