Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

I understand why some color laser printers are 4 times slower in color, but...

I understand why some color laser printers are 4 times slower in color (the page is reprinted 4 times, once for each color), but what about those that are 12 ppm in black but 8 in color, how is the 33% reduction in speed explained?

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Color has to be layered and there has to be registration of color. That's x4 so it will be slower than the black by itself.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar
    It's Magic.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Black is one color.

Or as Username stated...

Its magic.

Its geniusness.

Its the big bang!
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Color has to be layered and there has to be registration of color. That's x4 so it will be slower than the black by itself.
    As I said I understand why some are 4 times slower that makes perfect sense as there are 4 times more colors to print.

My question is about those tiny $200-300 ones that are 12 ppm in black and 8 ppm in color, that's only 33% slower, not 4 times slower, so how is this explained?

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    It's Magic.
    ^^^^^^^
    That's how, as previously stated by that, I'd imagine, genuinely handsome and intelligent young man right there, haha. But seriously, I have no idea.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The distance the paper travels is the same, black and white or color. So the slower time is for the colors to work, the paper path is the same. Reduced time so the laser or led can write to 4 drums.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

End User 250+ Posts
    Does this mean that all machines that are the same speed in color or black have 4 lasers and those that are slower in color have only one laser?

E Winter
    I think there may be different reasons to throttle the process speed in full color mode:

- color registration is more accurate
    - improved toner>paper transfer may be important
    - better fuser performance to avoid offset due to the increased toner amount
    - image/controller processing and data streams are probably more CPU intensive in full color mode

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Sommer View Post
    I think there may be different reasons to throttle the process speed in full color mode:

- color registration is more accurate
    - improved toner>paper transfer may be important
    - better fuser performance to avoid offset due to the increased toner amount
    - image/controller processing and data streams are probably more CPU intensive in full color mode
    But all the more expensive machines are the exact same speed in color or black like my Canon MF8530Cdn which is 21 ppm in either case, why can more expensive ones go as fast in color?