Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What's wrong with a little thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
    Maybe it was something they realized they should have thought of or found and they are too embarrased to mention it again.
    That's true, I've overlooked something simple and then was embarrassed to admit it.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    We all miss something simple at one time or another. I may not have closed them all, but I have on occasion posted my fix that was something simple, just because others had tried to help and were curious about the results. I have even closed threads that I started that no one had responded to. That can be frustrating, when you get no responses at all.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

That's true, I've overlooked something simple and then was embarrassed to admit it.
    Everyone has done it. It would help if we remembered that when we reply. I spent a long time on a problem once, and I couldn't figure out. The problem didn't happen every time and I couldn't find the cause. A newbie tech pointed out what he thought was the problem. I immediately dismissed it because I believed it couldn't possibly be that simple, and because he was a newbie. What could he possibly know that I didn't? Several months later after pulling my hair out on every other solution I decided I would try what the newbie suggested. Guess what? He was right and I've never forgotten that lesson. Every time I start thinking I'm too big for my britches I remember what happened before. I also listen to newbies more carefully too. So to all the newbies, don't be afraid to ask the questions or reply with the thing that fixed it. Everyone has done it and will do it again in the future.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technician
    All the people who do not want to say thanks don't want to be seen to be dumb. Yet DUMB & DOUBT are the only sure way to probe reality. If one wants to be smart why work on copiers that must blacken your balls with toner every day. Thanks is payback to yourself as well and it has a hidden compound interest on your returns. You can't receive without giving and you might even lose even the interest. I am very thankful that such a huge databank exists - I am very grateful that all you guys out there are alive with everyone enlarging the sphere that is mindscape for the purpose of true peace.

Well I have seen machines try their best to say thanks after a good fix.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but if you guys are looking for gratitude and pats on the back then you guys are in the wrong business. I learned long ago that my paycheck was the only thanks I was ever going to get...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but if you guys are looking for gratitude and pats on the back then you guys are in the wrong business. I learned long ago that my paycheck was the only thanks I was ever going to get...

Maybe it is the territory, but I have told people that this is one of the few jobs I could do where a room full of people have stood and cheered when I showed up. You would think I was delivering beer to a frat party, as many times as I have heard "Thank God you are here"
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Maybe it is the territory, but I have told people that this is one of the few jobs I could do where a room full of people have stood and cheered when I showed up. You would think I was delivering beer to a frat party, as many times as I have heard "Thank God you are here"

Ya, I get that too from time to time...an excited yelp as I walk through the door with tool bag in tow....
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Must be the territory. All of us techs ran into that situation from time to time, but where we serviced copiers it definitely wasn't the normal reaction you could expect. People were usually either indifferent to us or just plain rude.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post

I'm not looking for gratitude, I'd just like to know what fixed the problem, so I can learn from it.