Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar

The worlds first true surround sound headphones....

I've often wondered why there have never been any attempts to produce surround sound headphones.

I've looked around the net, and what I saw were gimmicks...gimmicks that say the technology would work on ANY set of headphones. I gotta say, some companies really do lack ethics of trying to trick end users into buying a little addon that mimics 3D audio.

Simply stated, two speakers do not make surround sound. Stereo yes, surround sound no. That requires multiple sound sources, so there is a lot more to it than those gimmicks I've seen online.

Well, recently I read an article about a local engineer here in Calgary who has done the truly amazing...honest to God true surround sound headphones...5.1 channel in fact...

Psyko 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset at Memory Express Computers

I tried these out at said store and was completely impressed. They had the headphones hooked up to a PC with a game that used surround sound...Medal of Honor...it was pretty amazing to note the difference of that game from my current setup of using a pair of high end Microsoft headphones in the same game. You know with certainty that you are immersed in 3D sound when you turn about with the various sounds within the game environment. I like using the surround sound speakers (7.1 channel setup), but the rest of the house does not like me keeping them awake at 3 AM using that setup...so....

The only drawback...freaking price of these damn things is high....$250 bucks so I can blast away at 3 AM without disturbing anyone else in the house...

Forgot this link to the official web page....gives greater detail to what these are.

http://www.psykoaudio.com/
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I know I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember quadraphonic sound?

This goes back to the mid to late '70s.

While certainly not the quality of 5.1 or 7.1 surround, true 4 channel was a thing to behold in its time.

There were 4 channel headphones. They had two drivers in each earcup, one firing forward and the other rearward.

Koss made a few models as well as a few other companies.

The technology was only around for a few years, but it was fun while it lasted.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

I remember those....Akai or Bose or some thing like that....
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    Yea, that lasted about a week didn't it?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    I remember quads. A while back, I was going through some collectible items, ( wife calls it junk ), and came across my SANTANA and CHICAGO quad tapes. Amazing sound: 'specially when you were 'relaxed '.
    They even had quad LP's didn't they?
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Quote Originally Posted by HenryT2 View Post
    They even had quad LP's didn't they?
    Yes, but it wasn' "discrete quad", as it was called. There were fewer dBs of separation on an LP.

To get discrete quad, you needed a reel-to-reel tape, or (dare I say it!) an 8 track.

There was one quad radio station in Cleveland, WMMS, (which these days is called a "progressive rock" station), that was in quad. They went back to 2 channel in no time.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

I remember listening to some tunes years ago...in my pretentious and misguided youth spent "experimenting", of being wowed by some tunes that took advantage of quad stereo...my favourite band who took advantage of this often, even live, was Rush....(hard rock Canadian band for those not in the know)....

RUSH - Official Website
    ---Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    I remember listening to some tunes years ago...in my pretentious and misguided youth spent "experimenting", of being wowed by some tunes that took advantage of quad stereo...my favourite band who took advantage of this often, even live, was Rush....(hard rock Canadian band for those not in the know)....

RUSH - Official Website
    Ah, Rush! One of my faves!

My favorite song of theirs was probably their biggest, "In the mood". Still a rock classic today.

Remember Geddy Lee and his humogous honker?

Actually, this song specifically was one of my favourites.....it HAS to be listened to in at least quad to appreciate....

---Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Ah, Rush! One of my faves!

My favorite song of theirs was probably their biggest, "In the mood". Still a rock classic today.

Remember Geddy Lee and his humogous honker?
    He still has that humongous honker....I have a brother in law who "almost" could pass for his looks if you were not paying attention. The only distinction is the much much shorter hair...and lack of ability to play bass.

In the mood.

Another of my personal favs...Tom Sawyer

Crap...they are still pushin new tunes out...early starts in '68...first album in '74....they are less geriatric lookin than many bands still together from that era...
    ---Groucho Marx