Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh Business Solutions morphs into IKON 2.0 - GOSSIP HERE!

I am one of the 1000s of techs going through this transition. I found out this week that the "Service Supervisor" position has been eliminated. (that is what they are saying anyhow) A few of my good friends who were service supervisors in the Atlanta marketplace were giving walking papers this week. The only other service supervisors that I know were promoted to service managers just in time to avoid the axe. Is this truly a nationwide move? Does anyone have any dirt?

We have been doing training for the Edge Devices and should be getting ours soon. I have to say that for all of the drawbacks of IKON's Edge, it does have some cool advantages. I like the idea of having all of my MIF at my fingertips and the tipleading and time reporting has some advantages. It is a shame that we will lose alot of freedom and autonomy with the Edge device. I guess that it is a good thing if it will help separate those that work hard from the dead wood. The RBS Blackberry system was very easy to cheat and probably masked alot of laziness. I still dont like the 24hr "anal probe" that the edge delivers.

Can someone elaborate on the "offer letters" that RBS employees are being given? This is the 1st that I have heard of that.

"You'll never hear one of us repeating gossip, so you better be sure and listen close the first time"

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Business Solutions morphs into IKON 2.0 - GOSSIP HERE!

...except if you have a manager who is doing what he's supposed to any deadwood will be quickly identified and won't live long.

I'm having a REALLY hard time understanding why RBS would spend 6 times as much on a device that is markedly more inconvenient to carry around, will cost at least 1 call per day in productivity, has VERY pathetic range, has less functionality, and will piss off the loyal techs who have been the backbone of their service department.

This device is a bean counter's wet dream. Period.

I further have a lot of dificulty understanding why RBS (a smaller company) was able to buy IKON (the larger company) and yet RBS seems to be transitioning to IKON systems and policies. There's a reason such a transaction was possible... Might be because RBS systems and policies worked better???
    73 DE W5SSJ

Technician
    I feel ya, Shadow. The Edge will definitely cost a few calls a week minimum in productivity and it does seem to be more of a leash than anything. (I still have not touched one, only online training right now) The device turns the tech into a robot. Robots are great at doing what they are programmed to do but ONLY what they are programmed to do. We humans can think outside of the box and use initiative and creativity.

As far a Heirarchy, the tail will certainly wag the dog for a good while. Lanier thought that they bought Ricoh for a while too.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Everybody at IKON was hoping to dump the Edge and get the Blackberries.

Guess that didn't happen...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    The thing driving me nuts is I keep hearing Ikon people saying how bad the edge is but then in meetings no one will complain about it. I think they have all been beaten down already or something.

I keep hearing that it's only being used to about 10% of its potential.

Supposedly, one thing being looked at is GPS driving directions, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician
    Are Ikon guys getting email at this point on the Edges?

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Are Ikon guys getting email at this point on the Edges?
    That would be a "No". Another "possible future expansion".

No aircards, either.

It's a real challenge to get techs to check their email. Some check it every day, others... not so much.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ikon Princess's Avatar
    No E-mail on the hhd. When we first got them we had Huge problems but now not too bad(except when they do an"upgrade" then you can count on not having it work for the day). There is a back-up to the system and work arounds, I am sure any technician worth his/her salt can figure out the work arounds. If you Ricoh guys have questions about the hhd just ask an Ikon tech we are all on the same team now let's try to make the best of it.

Technician
    No email... that is going to be a problem. Our entire RBS culture is built around email. (For better or worse) I just checked my Blackberry and I only had 17 emails today. Thursday I had over 70. I dont report to an office, I work from home, closest office is 1.5 hrs away. (and that office is closing, next closest is 2.5 hr drive) They cant expect us to check email without internet access. This is going to be interesting!