Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Best/Worst Copy Paper ?

Best/Worst Copy Paper ?

Does anyone have a chart or information in a write up for what is the best/worst copy paper out there? I have a client stuck on buying the worst paper they can buy and blame the copier for not running it! They of course do not believe me when I explain paper attributes to them, therefore if I have something in writing this will help a lot!

Thanks!

Kelly

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Best/Worst Copy Paper ?

Discovery or Navigator (same stuff, depends on what wrapper they feel like putting on it this month) is some of the best, most consistent stuff I've found, and its really not much more expensive than the el-cheapo stuff.
    73 DE W5SSJ

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Hammermill is Konica Minolta's brand of choice...

Basically, if it is economy paper, you get what you paid for. There are no quality controls to ensure that you will get favourable results. Staples paper is amongst the worst from my personal stand point...they talc the paper. This is fine for inkjet or offset, but is terrible for laser, especially high speed. The talc prematurely wears down the rollers...and even reduces their effective ability to move paper through.

Generally, I recommend that the customer choose paper that is recommended for laser only, not those hybrids that include inkjet. Though not very practical, provide the customer with a case of paper to try when feed issues related to paper are encountered, just so they can see for themselves.

In other situations, such as excessive curl, using just one ream of better paper will show a customer that it is the paper, not the copier.

In the end, it is the user who ultimately makes the decision. Simply stated, how much downtime due to jamming, how much paper waste...toner waste, premature wear and tear, are they willing to put up with. Some companies do not want to replace a copier every other year...they want longevity and reliability, similar to that of many car owners. We as consumers should not be surprised if our car breaks down due to poor choice of oil and gas, sub standard parts and such just to save a buck here and there. It ends up costing more in the long run. Unfortunately in our line of work, customers rarely get this point...mostly because we are charged to repair and maintain the machine, regardless of their abuse of it by using crap paper. If I had my way....well...you know?

We also provide a media guide for those customers who doubt what us mere techs know...afterall, we are just the copier repair dude...what do we know eh?
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Best/Worst Copy Paper ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Discovery or Navigator (same stuff, depends on what wrapper they feel like putting on it this month) is some of the best, most consistent stuff I've found, and its really not much more expensive than the el-cheapo stuff.
    Portuguese brand. Nice to see us recognized abroad for something more than our economical crisis.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar
    Watch if they get the really cheapo stuff and it starts producing an odor. I went through a lot over that lately.
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Alright. I've done a LOT of personal testing on this especially since we do sell paper too. Here's a brief synopsis of my findings...

General Rules:
    1. Stay away from recycled. I know, I know, go green and all, but it really does suck plus it's a lot more expensive.
    2. Try to stay with a mill name brand. There's usually better quality and consistency.
    3. If using an office superstore brand, I've found Office Depot to be better. Staples has curl issues and is inconsistent between lots. Officemax is usually more expensive but is mostly Boise (they bought OM a few years ago.) Office Depot has more consistency in the quality. Specifically stay away from the black label and blue label (not cut with very smooth edges). The red label (used to be the cheapest but since replaced by the black label) was pretty good but not very bright, about 92 US. The yellow label is smoother, brighter 96 US and cut better but is expensive unless you can get a sale and coupon.

Best advice:
    1. Boise and Hammermill are my least favorite picks. They work alright but feel flimsy and the brighter papers are too expensive.
    2. My two top picks are Report and Double A...here's why:
    A. Report and Double is imported from Brazil (Report) and Thailand (Double A) and both are made from sustainable and renewable eucalyptus farms...good for environment.
    B. Report is very economically priced at 98 US brightness on both 20 and 24 lb. I don't recommend the 20 lb. however...it has curl issues on some equipment.
    C. Double A has become my favorite. It is really smooth and holds solid blacks and colors excellantly and is 22 lb. and 96 US bright.
    D. Unfortunately it can be hard to find both brands. Office Depot does import Double A and two cases (5,000 sheets total) Runs about $25 on sale.

As far as colored paper, I recommend Hammermill Fore MP colors, mohawk, and Wasau.

I just wanted to add that Discovery and Navigator are good papers as well. However I've found that they don't seem to distribute to the eastern united states for some reason.
    Last edited by kingpd@businessprints.net; 11-10-2010 at 07:06 AM.

OMD-227
    We have a client here, running 10x Sharp color machines, just having changed to a brand of paper with 10% Bamboo content. Talk about problems!!!!
    Its made in Thailand somewhere and has been really bad. They have come to realise cheap stuff causes problems.

I agree with everything said above. Nice work!

Paper.pdf

This guide is in italian...so you can use a translator to read it.
    Ciao a tutti
    ... In the minute that you're thinking of giving up, think about why you lasted so long ...