Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you replace Ozone Filters?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always replaced at a PM

23 50.00%
  • I blow them out at a PM

12 26.09%
  • I never touch them

5 10.87%
  • I throw them out

6 13.04%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ozone filters

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ozone filters

Some guy in the workshop rewired all the coronas in a IR7105 and put about 4 boxes (2000 sheets) of paper through it to test without the back panel screwed on.

He shared the ozone with everyone in the room ;(

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Ozone filters

If the machine is installed in a well-ventilated room, I usually throw them away. When not, I try to replace them when needed.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    If I have them I change them. Customers do not. If some one ask me about that smell. I just tell them it is what low level radiation smells like. But do not worry, the radiation from a copier is so heavy it hovers at about waist level, so try not to bend over a lot, it may affect your brain
    wicked

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    If I have them I change them. Customers do not. If some one ask me about that smell. I just tell them it is what low level radiation smells like. But do not worry, the radiation from a copier is so heavy it hovers at about waist level, so try not to bend over a lot, it may affect your brain
    If people are so concerned about ozone and radiation from a copier then they should get the hell off their cell phones and go climb a mountain. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    dito. I remember a customer from years back on a high end minolta and they were complaining of headaches and feeling sick....... why, because the ozones had never been replaced. Thankfully the customer never knew what was causing it and my then service manager changed them. I learned from his mistake as the responsibilty for my work stops with me.

I remember years ago this old lady would yell at people who had to make a copy b/c the smell made her nautious. The copier was literally about four feet from her desk. Get a copy room you moron!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Just heft the filter in you hand. That ozone gets heavy. Be careful not to spill any on the floor.

But seriously, Unless you've brought your portable laboratory, I don't think that there's a definitive field test. Maybe just age? =^..^=
    Have someone eat it. If they live, the filter is fine; if they get sick then it is still good, if they die then time to replace it.

It depends on where I've worked. Some companies never change them, and others follow the book strictly.

It also depends on the customers. Some customers are more professional AND they take time when they check out the copiers they want to buy. They know what PM parts that is in the machine - and when they are going to be replaced. Some also demand to keep the old parts, to be in control, and to check if they get what they pay for.
    Others have regular air quality controls. If the air quality is bad around a machine we can loose money. So then it is important to change and clean the filters at regular intervals. It don't take a lot of time. But is cost some money though.

But most people don't care and don't know how a copier works.

I remember once at a customer.. they had a lot of plants around the copier. And the plants kept getting brown/yellow sports. That was caused by ozone gas. So when we started to change the filters the plants stopped getting the spots.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Okay, I'm an old guy (really old guy, or rog), but I remember buying a ozone producing machine from the Sharper Image that would fill your room with the wonderful emanations of ozone, infusing you with peace and love, all for $49.95- and, at that time, I remember how the smell from the coronas off of a running a Saxon PPC I was the same smell as my expensive ozone producer. So how come this wonderful ozone is good when produced purposely, but bad as a byproduct of a productive piece of office equipment?

That's a really good question. Would like to know the answer myself. I was told ozone smells like fresh rain in a rainforest...well I've never been to one.

Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    Okay, I'm an old guy (really old guy, or rog), but I remember buying a ozone producing machine from the Sharper Image that would fill your room with the wonderful emanations of ozone, infusing you with peace and love, all for $49.95- and, at that time, I remember how the smell from the coronas off of a running a Saxon PPC I was the same smell as my expensive ozone producer. So how come this wonderful ozone is good when produced purposely, but bad as a byproduct of a productive piece of office equipment?

That ozone producing machine.. it didn't happen to be one of those electrostatic precipitators, or electrostatic air cleaners if you like. It's a particulate collection device that removes particles from air (or other flowing gases - in industry for example). It uses the force of an induced electrostatic charge. A byproduct is ozone gas. Electrostatic precipitators are highly efficient filtration devices that minimally impede the flow of gases through the device, and can easily remove fine particulate matter such as dust and smoke from the air stream.
    I thought they required an ozone filter itself, so it wouldn't pollute the air by itself..
    Last edited by Lotec; 12-08-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling/gramma..