Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you replace Ozone Filters?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always replaced at a PM

23 50.00%
  • I blow them out at a PM

12 26.09%
  • I never touch them

5 10.87%
  • I throw them out

6 13.04%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ozone filters

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ozone filters

Ozone filters

How many of you change the ozone filters in copiers?

If i got a copier going into a dirty enviroment they are ripped out before the machine is even installed. Unless it's placed in a closet the filters usually get thrown out once they are dirty and not replaced.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

OMD-227
    We've done field testing of ozone filters replaced when due, not fitted at all, and never touched..... and there is no difference with machine operation or quality.
    I agree with Lawrence on the dusty/dirty environment issue of them blocking up, and if that is the case, they are either removed or cleaned when needed.
    Personally, unless they are causing an issue, I have never seen a case to replace them.

Back in about 1996/1997 I once saw a HP Laserjet II that had the ozone filter so badly degraded that it had turned to a pile of black dust. It literally crumbled in my hands when I touched it. Back then, it was just a square lump of charcoal. That was my first experience with ozone filters, but they have obviously changed alot over the years.

Technician
    True ozone filters are not to protect the operation of the machine. They protect people from ozone. Ozone is unstable air partcles that come from HV sources like coronas. Ozone can make people sick, scar the lungs, cause headaches, spur athsma attacks, etc. The filters are usually charcoal based which absorbs ozone before it exits the machine. Filters should not be replaced when they are dirty but when the life has expired. They can only absorb ozone until they are "full". Once they are saturated with ozone, they can do no more good. So if you dont replace the ozone filter with a new one, it may as well be thrown away for the sake of airflow.

My answer, do "I" replace them regularly? Sometimes. Ricoh includes them in some PM kits and I use if provided.

OMD-227
    I completely agree Infidel. I know why they are there and their purpose in life. However, I cant see a genuine reason to replace these every 200 or 300K as recommended. We have all been around copiers long enough now to know that if it was bad, we'd be the ones having problems (techs) rather than end-users who are only at the machine for a few moments.
    Sure, if there is a funky smell going on around the machine (that wasn't caused by me), then I'll replace them no problems at all. I have done so in the past, but most of the time, they never get a look in.
    In some cases, I have seen an improved machine performance by removing them, when in a humid & hot room. Better air flow through the machine keeping machine performance better outweighs changing an filter just because it might be full of absorbed ozone.

I'll change it if required, otherwise leave it alone.

Unleash the hounds.................

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ozone filters

They're included in the kit, so why not? Back in the day certain machines had serious circulation issues like the Canon NP-6050 series, and the Canon NP-6650, so to avoid a solid fused cleaning unit, or to make the main corona last, removing the filters was imperative. Even the more recent Kyocera Falcon I, Falcon II, and Falcon III will develop primary charge issues if the filters are not cleaned, but these are re-usable, not the carbon-based ozone filters.

Did you ever have an enduser the complained that the ozone was making them sick? My enduser was trying to get reimbursement for doctor's visits, and paid time off. It didn't happen. I can't discuss the resolution, beyond the fact that there are other factors far more dangerous than ozone. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Kyoceras like these clean,clean,clean

OMD-227
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    beyond the fact that there are other factors far more dangerous than ozone.
    Like a punch up-side the head to stupid end-users.

When i was with Ricoh back in the early 90s we were given a document from the Government OH&S stating that Ozone filters must be replaced at regular intervals. So from that point on it became a habit to replace filters when at life.
    When the Konica Minolta m/cs went to image units for colour the black toner cart came packaged with ozone filter which cust had to replace,needless to say they never are.
    Having said that i still beleive that they need replacing just to stop calls from customers stating that there m/c smells funny and i always point out to customers that the ozone filter that is still sitting the toner box should be used.

Thats my 2 cents worth
    Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works... and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellconnected View Post
    When i was with Ricoh back in the early 90s we were given a document from the Government OH&S stating that Ozone filters must be replaced at regular intervals. So from that point on it became a habit to replace filters when at life.
    When the Konica Minolta m/cs went to image units for colour the black toner cart came packaged with ozone filter which cust had to replace,needless to say they never are.
    Having said that i still beleive that they need replacing just to stop calls from customers stating that there m/c smells funny and i always point out to customers that the ozone filter that is still sitting the toner box should be used.

Thats my 2 cents worth
    I remember I had a few government accounts, as well as a few hospitals, that had it in their contracts that the filters must be replaced at manufacturer's recommended intervals, or sooner if needed. No exceptions.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    If I have them I change them. Customers do not. If some one ask me about that smell. I just tell them it is what low level radiation smells like. But do not worry, the radiation from a copier is so heavy it hovers at about waist level, so try not to bend over a lot, it may affect your brain
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking