Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knee problems??

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts android790's Avatar
    I was going to say it is nice to know I am not alone in my maladies, but you hate to see others old beyond there years too. I keep a cane in my car so when my knee goes out I can wrap it and finish the day. rheumatoid arthritis has made things worse. 90 proof at the end of the day helps more than what my dr can do. I don't mind getting old, I just hate feeling old. Oh yea, the tummy ache, I need to go home, causes me to see red. Now I sound like my grandparents, I must not be getting old, I must be old. Turn the heat up.
    Yes, I am here to fix your machine. No, your machine went out of warranty 18 years ago.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Only 15 years in and if I've been on the floor in any way shape or form for more than a few seconds I look like I'm about 80 when I get up. Sore knees, hips and low back. Machines should come with built-in jacks to elevate themselves to a more technician friendly level (just day dreaming there).

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Knee problems??

Maybe all dealers should be required to have a fully staffed physical therapy center on site

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    35 years of bending over and getting screwed, I mean turning a screw. Left knee is going. How about elbows, my right elbow is starting to flare up again, doc says its from turning a screwdriver for so long. Just could never convince myself to use a power screwdriver, seen too many stripped heads and double threads, pet peeve, the screw that came out of that hole is the same one ,or at least type, that came out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    Just 57 years old. Getting up off the floor is a pain and if I drive more than about 30 miles, getting out of the car is a project. Can't run at all, can't remember anything and I need a nap. Too young to be this old.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar
    3 years as walker engineer... not looking forward to what's coming
    With the case of long effects of toner.. I have had a mild case of asthma all my life. yet only ever had attacks in last 3 years.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Had surgery on both knees due to snapped ligaments, can't really kneel down in front of a machine, prefer to sit. Should be fun in ten years!
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Any of you old folks ever spend hours in the shop washing out liquid developer tanks? We use to have to come in on Saturdays after picking up a bunch of Canon liquid copier tanks and have to clean them out. Up to your elbows in clear dispersant. Worse than that were the old mimeograph ink cylinders, we used Fedron for those. Who knows if thats gonna come back and haunt me. I do know of some guys that came down with kidney cancer and leukemias, supposedly from the chemicals we use to use back in the 70's.
    Toner, I've been blowing black out my nose since the first Canon NP200, wonder if I have toner black lung.

Through my work in the repair areas backing many of the risks encountered in the recycling of toner cartridges ... lift some copy machines ... so very tired. I think that the machinery today is less dangerous than the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Close to 30 years in the business and I have had to have my left knee operated on 6 years ago and it still messes with me.

Any other (Oldies) out there with the same problem?
    Can we get a class action suit against the manufacturers for making it a Bit*h to work on them?

How about the long term affects of toner on skin or lungs.

I am getting old and this job is getting harder and harder physically to repair.

Just ranting. 6 Fosters and my knee still hurts.
    BEST TECHNICIAN . NICE PEOPLE .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    OH MY GOSH ! If I had known I was going to live so long, I would have taken better care of myself years ago.

59 Years old: in this biz since mid 70's: Liquid toner, mineo ink, duplicator fluid, Fedron, acrilic lacquer thinner, LIX and mineral spirits bath for frames, now toner. Sore knees, sore back, sore legs, and don't ask why the skin on my hands break open during the winter, and just merely dry all the rest of the year. ( haven't found a good cream for my hands yet )

And the young guys don't come in if they have a hang-over, or a tummy-ache.

Give me a break!
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .