Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Guess I'm lucky, then - I went for the second-cheapest optical fiber service my provider has - they go up to 360Mb download, but it's way too expensive for me...
    360Mb download!!!! that is possible? fastest I have ever used in the uk is 10Mb. fastest seen in uk is 20Mb.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    360Mb what's that. The fastest I can get is DSL and download speed tops out at 154Kbps. We don't even have that speed on any of the local intranets!!!!! There are a few customers that have better setups but they are located in one of our metro areas (17K people)! Also have wireless internet but has issues when it snows, like today. Nothing in the mobile wireless range as my cell phone won't work in 70% of my service area, AT&T and Verizon say they have it, buuuuuuuuttttttttttt. HAHAHAHAHA

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    What's your internet access type and speed?

Well, I don't want to be a dick, but apparently they even offer 1Gbps over fiber - check here, my service is the second from the left.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    This message is coming to you via my brai....FRzZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Sorry, damn thing went on the fritz.....have to use cable..........we get 100MBps download at home and at the office, but it usually is running in the 50 to 70MBps.....but everyone knows , it is never fast enuff!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have 1Mb cable at home and ADSL at work, and I'm pretty satisfied with that speed. But 360Mb download!!! Wauuu

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Well, I don't want to be a dick, but apparently they even offer 1Gbps over fiber - check here, my service is the second from the left.
    That's way cool! We might get something like that in 15 or 20 years!!!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Of course it depends on the area, I only got fiber some months ago.

And all of this is, of course, because of competition: the two major competing providers installed fiber in the area at roughly the same time (with 1-2 weeks difference). The prices are also going down - or speeds going up - thanks to that.

My internet speed has been growing steadily at roughly the same price (8, 10, 20, 50, 60Mb) for a while now. And I usually can get near the contracted speed (testing with Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test).
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

At work I have two connections, a 2Mb link to our main office and a separate 24Mb for other services that we provide. My phone is supposed to be 7.2Mb down but that really depends on weather and stuff.

Hopefully I will be getting fibre laid through my street within the next year so I will be going 100Mbs at home.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AyJayAreDii View Post
    360Mb download!!!! that is possible? fastest I have ever used in the uk is 10Mb. fastest seen in uk is 20Mb.
    They have actually been able to transfer an 8 gig movie over fiber optics in one second. Don't expect that to be commercially available anytime soon.

I have 8MBps down and 2 up. We don't have FIOS here which is supposed to get up to 50MB down I think. The think is though, if everyone has 2MB or so up then anything over 2MB or so down is a waste. That's why even from business servers the most I ever got was 1.5-2.0 MB down. Just wasted extra capacity. Check your internet contract though; many have clauses where they can limit you if you use too much.

Here in PA, comcast tried to do that and they got a class action against them; they also restricted bandwidth on ppl using p2p networks.