Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar

Have you been on Call or telephone support?

I have been asked whether I want to do weekend and evening (24/7) telephone support for our print shops. Don't think I will get too much choice in the matter but I was wondering who has done this before and does it really make much of a difference. I am not gonna always have my manuals on me where ever I go. I just already know the only thing I am going to be asked is can you come here and fix it know.

Has anyone done this and how did it work out?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

In my experience it has more to do with the caller than it does with you.

If you can get accurate observations, if your user is willing to try a few things, if your customer doesn't get agitated/frustrated, if, if, if ....

From you're side, you'll need to be very re-assuring in your tone and manner. Just keep them talking about the problem, and eventually you'll think of something. The odds are, that it will require a tech anyway, but you'll be able help some out, and at least come up with a preliminary diagnosis. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    I agree with Blackcat...you can make the call easy for the customer as well as yourself, and PRAY for someone willing to work with you.

24 / 7 The down side is ... You have to be available...: Several years ago when I was 24/7, I could go in late to work to make up for the midnight calls. He preferred this as he did not have to pay any overtime. Any urgent problems were handled the first thing that next morning.

Good luck.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but down time is sacred. No job is worth giving up weekends and other free time. You get burned out quickly that way...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    How right you are Jules....

Thank goodness I now only do support calls 8-5 Mon-Fri now. And that gets really old sometimes as well.

On one of our 'national accounts company' printer returned for repair; I found a UPS label on a packing carton that said : ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED ! right by the shipping label.
    I'm sure you can guess how some of these support calls turn out...

Re-visit the ' Dumbist customer comment / question ' thread.

Sometimes it can be fun though.

"The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    call can get old. would you be alternating with someone else? I would make sure that the customer knows that this is just telephone support and that any in person service would be during regular business hours(or, whatever is specified in their contract).

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I've done a little On-Call and won't do it anymore. I value my free time too highly to give it up to nanny the phone. My first call was for a jam the customer couldn't find. I tried valiantly to avoid having to go in. Did I mention this was at about 11:30pm, mid-winter during a storm? A drive that on a clear day takes 45 minutes took about 1-1/2 hours, each way. I arrived and looked at the display, opened ONE friggin' door and removed one page that was not even actually 'stuck'. Verified that the precious year end report resumed printing, shot the operator a dirty look and left. Back in bed for 3:00am. Lesson learned, let someone else do it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I see it as sales BS.
    Ask the salesperson if they will take the time to go out on a early Saturday to show a customer how to put the paper guides flush against the paper.
    The salesperson's job is to train the customer on at least the basics.
    He doesn't cold call on weekends, why should you do service calls?
    If he is going to put your free time on the line, he should be willing to do the same.

Nobody is going to die because they can't make a copy, but a salesperson will lose a few bucks.

My $0.01865 and my knee still hurts. Thus my weekends or recuperation time.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I guess it depends on how you're comped.

I know that guys who are on call this Friday (day after Turkey Day) get $50 if they don't have to do anything, and the clock starts when they do.

As far as I'm concerned, my home life is way more valuable than that. Not being able to go too far from home or get involved with anything isn't worth a measly 50 spot to me.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    If your dealership has agreements with print shops, hospitals, or what have you for off-hours service, you can best believe that the customer is paying a premium for the convenience - either included in the price of the contract or as a per incident fee.

You're the one providing the labor and expertise to make this all happen, so there is no reason that you shouldn't be paid at a corresponding rate.

Every once in a great while, we'll have a customer who wants to do a large install on Saturday (in fact, I have one pending right now) so to eliminate any downtime. Do we charge for this luxury? You betcha!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins