Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Inclement weather policy/plan?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there is a policy/plan to help us know what we are expected to do in bad weather.

12 24.49%
  • No we are left to fend for ourselves!?

29 59.18%
  • What's snow?

8 16.33%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Snow Days?

ragajungle
    I had to drive to an emergency call during a blizzard last christmas eve -

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ragajungle View Post
    I had to drive to an emergency call during a blizzard last christmas eve -
    I guess I'm just too old and jaded. There is no such thing as an emergency copier call. I suppose that means I'll never be named "Super tech of the year".

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Snow Days?

Snow? That white thing that appears on every xmas commercials?

Over here, if I want to see snow, I have to drive 80km.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    SNOW DAYS ? Are those like SICK DAYS ?

Down here in MS, we don't get a lot of snow, so we just have to be careful of the idiots who not only do not know how to drive in the rain, much less an icy or snowy road. I do not do field calls: just in shop repair and phone support, so YEP, here during all sorts of bad weather. Normally around here, schools and businesses start closing if the snow gets to about 1/4 inch ( and that could be them measuring a drift beside the building ). Well, maybe not that bad, but close. Seriously, if the roads are icy, I think the field techs can make the decision to go on a call. I cannot recall the company making a tech go on a call during snowy or icy weather. RAIN , NOW THAT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT OUTLOOK. If it's raining, so what...drive safely: if there's a tornado..yep.. drive safely.
    As with any region, you adapt to the weather and try to perform any work safely, and to the best of your ability.

To all you techs out in the field............please be safe.

Hence my motto............Never ride faster than your guardian angle can fly !
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

unless our manager calls and says stay off the roads we are to get our asses out there get get the calls done regardless

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    I grew up in the north so I learned to drive on ice and snow. I lived in Dallas a number of years ago and always got a kick out of watching them when we got a little ice. Usually if the weather report said there was a chance of ice, people would start having accidents the night before. I guess just the thought of ice was too much for some of them. North Carolina was fun too. About once a year we would get 1 or 2 inches of snow and everything would close. I'd get out my motorcycle and go have a blast. But to be fair, when it was 100 degrees and 95% humidity I stayed in the house by the A/C.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Snow Days?

It's a common sense call on my part. If I can, I'll be running calls. If it's really bad out, I figure no service call is worth tearing up my car or getting hurt. That would be bad for me AND my customers. I do hate to burn a perfectly good vacation day for friggin snow, though.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    It is up to the mgmt, and they will close during bad conditions or, will run a short day, start late and leave early. if the schools and gov offices are closed, so are we. If we are open and you can't get anywhere, it's a vacation day. we also just keep in touch with the customers to make sure they are open. good tires, chains, a small shovel, kitty litter and common sense are all good things to have when doing service calls in the winter.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Home - Flex Trax GoClaws, SnoClaws, SnoBootz, Inventor Tony Bright
    and
    Flex-Trax

Pretty cool inventions, those things, though sadly they are not sold here in Canada...the snow boots looked interesting.

Alternatively, these are pretty cool too for those odd times when all you need is a couple feet worth to get a car out of a rutt.... http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...ctionAides.jsp
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    This is the south so the biggest danger are people that moved here from the north and like to prove they can drive in it, to show up all us southerners. What they forget is we do not treat the roads because we do not get a lot of ice. All the back country roads will be sheets of black ice. I have been creeping along slowly and had a car with New York plates zip past me only to hit a patch of black ice and start doing 360 spins before landing in the ditch. Yanks make fun of how we shut everything down, well that is because we do not have resources to clear the back roads and it is unsafe for school buses. When I worked for GKN we had a manager who was from Ohio and talked shit about how we could not drive in it. Then they shut the plant down for snow one day, he was the first one to leave, and spun out in a ditch in front of the plant. 600 employees laughed and pointed and they left.

As far as shop rules, they were always open in the past and would tell us to come in and do shop work. My response was"It is your truck, do you want it on the road?" I would get to burn a vacation day. Last year we got iced real bad and the shop called and gave us a snow day paid.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking