Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Inclement weather policy/plan?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there is a policy/plan to help us know what we are expected to do in bad weather.

12 24.49%
  • No we are left to fend for ourselves!?

29 59.18%
  • What's snow?

8 16.33%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Snow Days?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    ...There is no such thing as an emergency copier call. ...
    Amen to that. If someone out there can't do a day or two without a COPIER!? Then too F%$ing bad.
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    We have a pretty relaxed work place so it is up to the techs. If we don't feel comfortable in it, we are not forced to drive.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Snow Days?

I learned to drive in the upper peninsula of Michigan. There were a few times when I was pushing snow with my bumper, and chains digging, digging, digging, to get purchase. Down here in the lower peninsula the biggest hazard is the other drivers, not the snow. Down here there's just no excuse for not driving. After spending 4-9 hours a day driving since 1980 driving is entirely second nature, and requires very little conscious thought. Like breathing ... =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I'm like you blackcat. Driving to me is second nature.

A recent argument about cell phone use, I had issue with hand held, but not bluetooth. Handheld, to me, is not so much about the distraction, but that the driver could not properly look around themselves, balancing a phone in one hand, the wheel and god knows what else, in the other. Shoulder checks, turn signals, spacial awareness....with the bluetooth, I have none of these problems. I can still maintain those requirements.

And what was the counter argument to this? Could you remember what you did while driving and talking on the bluetooth? WTF kind of stupid question is that? I don't remember 95% of my road trips, bluetooth or not. The 5% I do remember are with pinheads who either cut me off, did incredibly stupid things on the road around me, or there was a traffic jam that allowed me to "smell the roses" as I sat around waiting for the traffic to move again. While walking someplace, I do not pay a lot of attention to how I got there one step at a time.

The other argument being that we humans are not able to multitask.

Last time I looked, multitasking was what driving was all about....I had to look around my car at what was going on outside and ahead, had to maintain driving in the correct lane, have to control the speed of the car, including visual checks to the dash, operate turn signals and wipers and on and on it goes...

Driving, if you do it often enough, does indeed become second nature. Unfortunate for us that there are too many part time drivers out there. People who put less than 5K per year. THOSE are the problem childs out there.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Uh yeah, I've been hit by a few of you so-called professional drivers during my field days. Trying to do other things while driving or claiming that driving is so "second nature" that it requires very little thought is just dangerous and perhaps a little arrogant. Of the four or so drivers that hit me (all rear end collisions that were not my fault) at least three were professional delivery drivers. That's all they did, all day long. I'd rather drive on the road with the part-timers, at least most of them have enough respect for the road to pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Snow Days?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Over here, if I want to see snow, I have to drive 80km.
    About 2000km from me and thats still to close. I grew up in the UK and never want to see the foul stuff again.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Yer equating that to delivery drivers? Delivery drivers?

In 35 years of my driving life, I have yet to have an accident. Pardon me, one...I slid off the road due to black ice, but I was back on the road 10 minutes later. It is not arrogance, it is learning to pay attention to what is going on around you and dealing with it accordingly. You say you were rear ended by 4 delivery drivers but not your fault. What were you doing leading up to the rear ending? Did you stop because of another car in front of you, or did you stop at a stop light on the yellow, right before the intersection? I've seen people get rear ended in both situations on many occasions, it is not a rare event. Those that stopped at a yellow light are several times more likely to be rear ended in heavy traffic. Statistics here in Calgary on red light cameras have proven that simple fact. A high reduction in cross accidents offset by rear end accidents.

And what were these delivery drivers doing at the time of the accident themselves? Tail gating you most likely, and also not paying attention to what was going on around and in front, further up beyond your car. Just because someone drives a lot does not mean they know defensive driving. I retake the course every 2 years. I doubt those delivery drivers could claim they even took it once.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

I knew someone would get offended. Sorry, but I get nervous when I hear someone brag about what a good driver they are. Probably because in California (where I live) there are a lot of bad drivers who think they're good drivers. I don't know about the rest of the world, but auto accidents are one of the most common ways to die in California. I almost lost my wife in an auto accident. Sorry, but I don't think that driving should be taken so lightly simply because one spends a lot of time doing it.

I apologize for my terse reaction...

I am not bragging that I am a good driver and certainly did not mean to imply that. I am a comfortable driver. Being accustomed to driving is akin to being comfortable doing many other things in life, you do it enough, practice as it were, that eventually some things regarding driving become second nature...there is no concious thought in much of what I do when driving, I just react accordingly. An example of this was learning how to drive in winter conditions, having experienced skidding often enough, I barely think about what to do when I do experience my car trying to fish tail. Just one example of many situations we all experience if given enough experience.

The same argument can be said of pilots, that given the training and time, they are able to do incredible multi-tasking, far beyond what any of us will see, unless we too become pilots. This was the gist of my argument re: hands free vs hand held.
    ---Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    I apologize for my terse reaction...

I am not bragging that I am a good driver and certainly did not mean to imply that. I am a comfortable driver. Being accustomed to driving is akin to being comfortable doing many other things in life, you do it enough, practice as it were, that eventually some things regarding driving become second nature...there is no concious thought in much of what I do when driving, I just react accordingly. An example of this was learning how to drive in winter conditions, having experienced skidding often enough, I barely think about what to do when I do experience my car trying to fish tail. Just one example of many situations we all experience if given enough experience.

The same argument can be said of pilots, that given the training and time, they are able to do incredible multi-tasking, far beyond what any of us will see, unless we too become pilots. This was the gist of my argument re: hands free vs hand held.
    No worries, it's nothing personal. It's just one of those things I let myself get irritated by. Kinda like the way people who always make statements that sound like questions because of the inflection they use in their voices really irritates me. Don't listen to me...