Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Inclement weather policy/plan?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there is a policy/plan to help us know what we are expected to do in bad weather.

12 24.49%
  • No we are left to fend for ourselves!?

29 59.18%
  • What's snow?

8 16.33%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Snow Days?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Snow Days?

Just wondering if your company has a policy or not on if you go out or not in bad weather?
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    No official policy per-se but I'll drive in damn near anything, albeit at a slower pace. if the bosses say park it then I go home. Officially, in my area of the world, my understanding is if I believe it to be unsafe I can refuse to go out

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    In my company. I am in charge of my own safety. It's always the tech's call if he can swing it or not. The roads are cleaned extremely fast in New Jersey. Political careers have been ruined over poor snow plow performance here. We just call dispatch, and tell them we're bailing on the day, and it's all good. They expect you to not take advantage, though.
    Kevin900

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    It's our call if we are willing to brave it or not.

As long as we stay in contact with the customers, we're OK.

It's a very rare occurrence that the customer doesn't understand. In fact, we call them before going on site, and more often tan not they've already left for the day, or never bothered to open in the first place.

As far as our time goes, though, we're expected to cover it with sick, personal, or vacation time, but that almost never happens; we can almost always work from home doing CBTs, certifications, or what have you.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Snow Days?

Well damn, for the taxes we pay here in NJ, they better clean the roads fast.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Being a true northern lad (I grew up in the Yukon) in Canada, as far as I am concerned, the only excuse to not making the call is if the roads are jam packed with cars due to the poor conditions, or there is so much snow, the car simply cannot plow through it. Growing up north, I had to go to school in really shitty weather....-45C was no excuse to close schools...these days, down here in Calgary, the pussification factor has really taken hold...a school just outside of Calgary was closed for the day this morning because of "icy" road conditions...*&^&^%&^% pussies, likely some teacher who cannot drive figured that since they could not drive on the road, likely summer tires on the car, they recommended to close the school for the day. Put chains on the &*^&%$&^% buses and get the little brats to class...it was only -4C when I went to work this morning...just call the county road guys to come in and sand the road with a little salt.....
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Snow Days?

I'm originally from Maine, so I know how to drive in snow. Not many other people in Georgia can, however. Add to that the fact that I live on a hill and there is an underground creek that runs just under (over when it rains) one end the street. One side always gets a bit icy when it snows, and the creek side is completely iced up so I have a legitimate excuse to add to my personal one of not driving with crazy people to work. My town does not have a snowplow and very few salt/gravel trucks (that consists of 2 guys with shovels in the back and they wait until the snow is on the ground before they begin.)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Our official company policy is to get your ars3 to work. If you don't, you lose a days pay. Canada gets loads of snow and they cope with it ok. So can you.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Our customers would rather see us late to a call the in the ditch. So if that means the next day most are fine with it.
    I grew up with 9 foot snow drifts out side my house so 1 to 2 inches is nothing. But it is fun watching the calif folk deal with it.
    They don't understand that a 4 wheel drive will still slide when brakes are applied at 60 mph.

Rob S

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sandberg View Post
    Our customers would rather see us late to a call the in the ditch. So if that means the next day most are fine with it.
    I grew up with 9 foot snow drifts out side my house so 1 to 2 inches is nothing. But it is fun watching the calif folk deal with it.
    They don't understand that a 4 wheel drive will still slide when brakes are applied at 60 mph.

Rob S
    That is so true Rob. I see so many SUV's and 4WD trucks in the ditch around here and I calmly drive by them in my little Scion. It's almost funny sometimes and our snow removal here in the mountains is fantastic but Momma CA likes to put up chain contol stations all over the place. We go out in all kinds of conditions but our customers are very understanding if we can't make it for some reason. We don't have a policy regarding snow conditions as I can always use the bosses rig to get around in if my car (6" clearance) can't make it.