Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Christmas or Holiday

I didn't know them. I'm a big fan of Weird Al, though - although he's unknown around here.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    *LOL@Jizz in my Pants*

heh

That happy holidays crap is wearing thin, it is irksome that some feel the need to eliminate the fact that it is Christmas, just so the Muslims, Jews, Seiks and whomever else do not feel left out, all the while completely ignoring the simple fact that the majority of people in all those other faiths do not feel left out, and many take part in the festivities, regardless of their faiths. Stupid apologists is what they are, they are so busy trying not to offend that they do not see they are offending people. Being Agnostic myself, I quite honestly am not offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas...Jews have wished me Happy Hanukkah, Muslims have shared Ramadan sentiments as well...I take it in the spirit is was meant and see no distinction. And I see nothing wrong with reciprocating the sentiment...

Merry Christmas eh!
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    *LOL@Jizz in my Pants*

heh

That happy holidays crap is wearing thin, it is irksome that some feel the need to eliminate the fact that it is Christmas, just so the Muslims, Jews, Seiks and whomever else do not feel left out, all the while completely ignoring the simple fact that the majority of people in all those other faiths do not feel left out, and many take part in the festivities, regardless of their faiths. Stupid apologists is what they are, they are so busy trying not to offend that they do not see they are offending people. Being Agnostic myself, I quite honestly am not offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas...Jews have wished me Happy Hanukkah, Muslims have shared Ramadan sentiments as well...I take it in the spirit is was meant and see no distinction. And I see nothing wrong with reciprocating the sentiment...

Merry Christmas eh!
    You wanna laugh? Look for a song called "Merry F@#$ing Christmas". It's on the South Park Christmas album. I think you would dig it...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Christmas or Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    Just wondering if other countries besides USA celebrate Holiday instead of Christmas. Very seldom do you see an ad that mentions Christmas anymore. I get so sick of political correctness that I want to punch something. Also if you want a response from me, don't wish me happy holidays. I'm just glad my family and I still get to celebrate Christmas. Again, is this just here, or have other countries lost there minds too?

Who gives a shit what you call it, say happy whatever and get on with life. The whole issue is complete bullshit brought up by politicians and talking heads to distract you/us from actual issues that actually matter. If you're a Christian and you walk into your local WalMart and the 79 year old Greeter at the door says, "Happy Holidays", How does that actually affect your life? Does it change the price of the shit your about to buy? Is that pack of Chinese made skive shorts suddenly going to double in price? Is a fucking 9 year long shooting war in Afghanistan going to come to an end? Is some poor fuck who worked his ass off 8 hours a day in a factory only to have his factory pick up and move to China or Honduras so they can produce something for 2% less going to get his job back? The whole issue is complete bullshit, Period, end of story. Why can't people just be happy that a perfect stranger just said, "Thank you, Happy Merry Whatever".

I'm not trying to get personal but the "War on Christmas" is a ruse and it drives me crazy when people fall for it.

PS. That greeter at WalMart was a retired United Airlines Pilot with a great pension until the Federal Government let United renege on their pension program. It was a great deal for Wall Street that put cash back in the corporation but it put Mr. Greeter and his fellow retirees on the street with shit in their pockets.

Another PS. You have an awesome avatar, Merry Christmas.

I agree, it should not be used as a ploy or something to be made political however when they do things like this all over it starts to make me boil. Why should we cater to the Muslims?

ps Merry Christmas everyone

This is where it becomes an issue :

Red Cross bans Christmas
    to not offend Muslims
    (London Daily Mail) Red Cross staff have been ordered to take down decorations and to remove any other signs of the Christian festival because they could offend Muslims ...

The Red Cross bans Christmas

by STEVE DOUGHTY, Daily Mail

Christmas has been banned by the Red Cross from its 430 fund-raising shops.
    Staff have been ordered to take down decorations and to remove any other signs of the Christian festival because they could offend Moslems.
    The charity's politically-correct move triggered an avalanche of criticism and mockery last night - from Christians and Moslems.
    Christine Banks, a volunteer at a Red Cross shop in New Romney, Kent, said: 'We put up a nativity scene in the window and were told to take it out. It seems we can't have anything that means Christmas. We're allowed to have some tinsel but that's it.
    'When we send cards they have to say season's greetings or best wishes. They must not be linked directly to Christmas.
    'When we asked we were told it is because we must not upset Moslems.'
    Mrs Banks added: ' We have been instructed that we can't say anything about Christmas and we certainly can't have a Christmas tree.
    ' I think the policy is offensive to Moslems as well as to us. No reasonable person can object to Christians celebrating Christmas. But we are not supposed to show any sign of Christianity at all.'
    Labour peer Lord Ahmed, one of the country's most prominent Moslem politicians, said: 'It is stupid to think Moslems would be offended.
    'The Moslem community has been talking to Christians for the past 1,400 years. The teachings from Islam are that you should respect other faiths.'
    He added: 'In my business all my staff celebrate Christmas and I celebrate with them. It is absolutely not the case that Christmas could damage the Red Cross reputation for neutrality - I think their people have gone a little bit over the top.'
    The furore is a fresh blow to the image of what was once one of Britain's most respected charities.
    The British Red Cross lost friends this year over its support for the French illegal immigrant camp at Sangatte and its insistence on concentrating large efforts on helping asylum seekers.
    Yesterday officials at the charity's London HQ confirmed that Christmas is barred from the 430 shops which contributed more than £20million to its income last year.
    'The Red Cross is a neutral organisation and we don't want to be aligned with any political party or particular philosophy,' a spokesman said.
    'We don't want to be seen as a Christian or Islamic or Jewish organisation because that might compromise our ability to work in conflict situations around the world.'
    He added: 'In shops people can put up decorations like tinsel or snow which are seasonal. But the guidance is that things representative of Christmas cannot be shown.'
    Volunteers, however, said they believed the Christmas ban was a product of political correctness of the kind that led Birmingham's leaders to order their city to celebrate 'Winterval'.
    Rod Thomas, a Plymouth vicar and spokesman for the Reform evangelical grouping in the Church of England, said: 'People who hold seriously to their faith are respected by people of other faiths. They should start calling themselves the Red Splodge. All their efforts will only succeed in alienating most people.'
    Major Charles Heyman, editor of Jane's World Armies, said: 'There is really nothing to hurt the Red Cross in Christmas, is there? Would the Red Crescent stop its staff observing Ramadan?
    'In practice, the role of the Red Cross is to run prisoner- of-war programmes and relief efforts for civilians. Those activities require the agreement of both sides in a conflict in the first place. Celebrating Christmas in a shop in England could hardly upset that.'
    Major Heyman added: 'Moslems are just as sensible about these things as Christians. The Red Cross is just engaging in a bit of political correctness.'
    British Red Cross leaders have, however, not extended the ban to their own profitable products. Items currently on sale include Christmas cards featuring angels and wise men and Advent calendars with nativity scenes.
    The spokesman said: 'The Red Cross is trying to be inclusive and we recognise there are lots of people who want to buy Christmas cards which they know will benefit us.'
    The charity's umbrella body, the Swiss-based International Red Cross, has also had politically-correct doubts about its famous symbol. But efforts to find an alternative were abandoned in the face of protest and ridicule five years ago.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Christmas or Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by pjdbm View Post
    I agree, it should not be used as a ploy or something to be made political however when they do things like this all over it starts to make me boil. Why should we cater to the Muslims?
    I don't think is a matter of catering to Muslims (20+% of world population), it just a matter of trying to appeal to as large a customer base as possible. It's all about money.

BTW, Muslims believe in Jesus, the Qur'an teaches that Jesus was born to a virgin named Mary and that he is a messenger of God. Being that Muslims believe that Jesus was born they generally don't have a problem with Christmas. Easter, however, is up for debate. It sounds a lot like some of the stories I remember hearing in Sunday School as a kid, probably sound a lot like the stories my Jewish friends were hearing in Hebrew school at about the same time also.

Again, Who does the "War on Christmas" actually effect?

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10871087 View Post
    I'm not trying to get personal but the "War on Christmas" is a ruse and it drives me crazy when people fall for it.
    I don't consider this a war on Christmas, I see this as PC gone too damn far. I don't see politicians pushing this agenda, I see bureaucrats with too much time on their hands, politics having little to no influence, either way.

@pjdbm's post with the article about the Red Cross's efforts clearly show this. And yes, the Muslims really do not see offense, nor do the Jews....at least, none that I've met in my life and the subject crossed the floor of conversation.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, this means squat, but at the same time, the PC movement is insidious with its apologists because they see offense where there really is no offense. If one person out of a billion is offended, "That's Bad" (Dana Carvey style). I am so sick and tired of the PC bullshit that it offends me, mainly because I have to sanitize what I say, that I cannot be who I truly am all the time. In the case of Christmas, I'll be damned if some corporate asshole instructs me to say happy holidays...I am liable to shove a christmas tree up their ass. I call it censorship, an infringement of my personal freedoms to wish someone a merry christmas. To those PC types, Merry Christmas must be akin to the phrase, "go fuck yourself" or some damn thing like that.

The big issue is that some think there is offense to non-christians with regard to the celebration when in fact there is none whatsoever, and that is the major problem.

Case in point... Christmas left off university holiday guide - Canada - Canoe.ca

Inclusive speak like that is not inclusive if it completely writes out Christmas, yet names all the other celebrations, with the bottom line being that they do not want to offend the "Muslims" specifically. I doubt not one of those twits involved in the decision either knows or has asked a Muslim what they think, nor do I believe that any of them really gives a rats ass what Muslims really think. I heard someone else on another board give the supposition that it was an Atheist agenda that led to this...I somehow doubt that, but I do wonder sometimes, just where did this bull come from.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    Merry Atheistmas Everyone ! No God or religion for me, but I'm down for Christmas celebrating. Love Santa and presents and parties. Hope everyone gets what they're hoping for under their pagan tree. I'm wishing for a new magnetic tip #2 screwdriver. Oh, and a vodka and orange juice screwdriver too.
    Kevin900

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Christmas or Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    Merry Atheistmas Everyone ! No God or religion for me, but I'm down for Christmas celebrating. Love Santa and presents and parties. Hope everyone gets what they're hoping for under their pagan tree. I'm wishing for a new magnetic tip #2 screwdriver. Oh, and a vodka and orange juice screwdriver too.
    Now that's more like me! Thumbs up!

As far as trouble with any religion, I have none - I don't care about other people's religions.

The only time I get a little bit too pissed is when they try to sell their religion to me - the only thing worse than a telemarketeer is a religion salesman.

But it doesn't happen very often, though.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    The only time I get a little bit too pissed is when they try to sell their religion to me - the only thing worse than a telemarketeer is a religion salesman.

But it doesn't happen very often, though.
    I don't do religion either, but I must look like I need 'saved' because every time I service a machine at a church the pastor , minister or whatever tries to sell me a little Jesus. That's the one thing about organized religion that really chaps my ass.

People
    Against
    Goodness
    And
    Normalcy