Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Christmas or holiday

Very interesting topic!!!In this part of the globe where I live, the very concept of Christmas celebrations itself have steadily been declining among the people or believers for that matter . Frankly speaking, apart from Government department offices, most shops, markets & businesses in the city and other parts of the country remain open for businesses ,as people struggle to make ends meet. People are more concerned with how they will take their children back to school come the start of the new year school term than blowing all their hard earned money on a few days celebration, well knowing that January is a tough month financially. Meanwhile those who chose to celebrate and enjoy the season are free to do so . Other religious group do not take any offense, instead most join in the celebs,the only change i have noticed over the past 20years is that people are so much weighed down with the numerous earthly problems that they "NO LONGER GIVE A DAMN" about this Christmas thing !
    They instead pray for the celeb days to be quickly over so that they get on with their lives.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Christmas or Holiday

To all my liberal friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great.

Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To all of my friends with a brain:

Merry Christmas and Happy new year.

C'mon people - the holiday is Christmas. That's what its been for 2000 years. It is what it is. The giving of gifts was a celebration and a reminder of the gift that was given to us in Jesus. If that doesn't line up with your beliefs, that's between you and God, but if you want to sell gifts and profit from my holiday (Holy Day) at least have the decency to acknowledge the name we've given it. Even if you are a pagan.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    Shadow, well put. But let me add, nobody is really out there trying to start a war on Christmas, or take Christ out of Christmas or whatever. Is someone saying " Happy Holidays " instead of "Merry Christmas " doing it to grind your gears ? Why find insult where none is implied. Christmas is not the only holiday this time of year. It is one of many. The greeter at Wal-mart says " Happy Holidays " to be inclusive, since Jews have Channukah, and Muslims have Ramadan, and pagans have Winter Solstice, the Costanza's have Festivus, and I have Atheistmas. It doesn't matter to the Wal-mart greeter, or cashier at the gift shop, or bartender at the local watering hole what you celebrate. They likely could care less about you or me. I don't get slighted at all when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas. Getting upset about an innocuous greeting by a stranger in a store falls somewhere between narcissism and fascism. Honestly, no insult meant. To those who don't celebrate at all; hope you have a nice Saturday. 830-snowz.highlight.prod_affiliate.7.jpg
    Kevin900

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Christmas or Holiday

Here in Mississippi its not as big a problem and every one of my customers has wished me a Merry Christmas until I did a call for the Principal's office at XYZ Episcopal Middle School - there I got Happy Holidays.

I called her on it. Of all places they should know better.

If you're Jewish then by all means wish me a happy Channukah, and if I walk into Wally-World to buy a jewish-holiday-candlestick-thingy then call it a Menorah. That does not bother me in the slightest.

Its the devaluing of Christmas that chaps my ass. I'm boycotting Target not because they sell Menorahs, and whatever the hell Ramadan displays, and Kwanzaa, and Athiestmas, and stuff for Saturday... I'm boycotting them because they sell all that stuff under its proper name, but you can't buy a Christmas tree - you have to look for a holiday tree.

Its the Political Correctness run amok that I object to. Include other cultures if you want, but don't snub Christians.
    73 DE W5SSJ

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    That was my issue, along with many other Canadians, about Ryerson University....Christmas, the word, or many of its icons, are not allowed in any official capacity on the campus, but all the rest are acceptable. So called being inclusive, but not if it is Christmas.

And it particularly sucks because white anglo, and some franco, Canadians of Christian heritage are the ones pushing the agenda.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Pagans and Barbarians in Europe were the first to bring the tree inside and decorate it with fruits, nuts, and pretzels, and paper flowers. As Christianity spread, the church more or less let the converted keep their winter customs, letting the birth of Christ coincide with the Winter Solstice. Where I live, with a very diverse population, it is not uncommon for some Jewish folk to have a tree. A Jewish co-worker, my dispatcher, said she was always envious of all the trees, and tinsel, and such. So she went all out with holiday decorations, even a tree. She just used Channukah as the theme. I think Target's angle on this is capitalism at it's finest. You get a Christmas Tree, she gets a Channukah Tree, I get my Atheistmas Tree. Oh yeah, the tree is made in China. But I digress. Don't let someone else's way that they cope with a dreary time of year spoil your special time of year. Merry Christmas.red_present_box_wrapped.jpg
    Kevin900

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaddle View Post
    Just wondering if other countries besides USA celebrate Holiday instead of Christmas. Very seldom do you see an ad that mentions Christmas anymore. I get so sick of political correctness that I want to punch something. Also if you want a response from me, don't wish me happy holidays. I'm just glad my family and I still get to celebrate Christmas. Again, is this just here, or have other countries lost there minds too?
    Well, happy holidays! Sorry we can't all agree here but I don't think its so much about political correctness but more about assuming everyone in the US is a catholic/christian and being culturally/religiously insensitive to those many millions of people in the US that don't really celebrate christmas or any other xtian holidays. Its kind of rude when people tell me "merry christmas" everywhere I go, the first thing that comes to my mind is, well what an ignorant. How would you like to go shopping at any mall or any convenience store and being told "Happy Chanuka" or "Happy Kwanzaa" by people behind registers and strangers on the street assuming your from a different culture/religion for a whole 6 weeks before the holiday? I'm sure it would get annoying quick. While I don't celebrate christmas -like at the very least 29.5 million other U.S. Americans thats 14.1% and growing quickly by the way- I do partake in the Festivus for the rest of us.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    Merry Atheistmas Everyone ! No God or religion for me, but I'm down for Christmas celebrating. Love Santa and presents and parties. Hope everyone gets what they're hoping for under their pagan tree. I'm wishing for a new magnetic tip #2 screwdriver. Oh, and a vodka and orange juice screwdriver too.
    Well its nice to know I'm not alone here, merry festivus Kevin or was that rude of me for not calling it atheistmas? If we go back far enough we will find somebody's birthday wasn't always on Dec 25 but I'm sure everyone has done there homework here already, and for those who haven't there's a t-shirt to quickly clear things up: Mithras is the reason for the season! My wish list for tools has been turned in to my manager and should be arriving soon, can't wait because my vacuum hose has holes.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

I think that everyone should accept every cheerful greeting from friends and strangers alike, in whatever form, with a cheerful reply. And I hope you get to be the boss after the Festivus Fight, ptlfrs.
    Kevin900

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    I think that everyone should accept every cheerful greeting from friends and strangers alike, in whatever form, with a cheerful reply. And I hope you get to be the boss after the Festivus Fight, ptlfrs.
    I agree. It should be taken in the spirit it was given. If they were giving you the bird and calling you an asshole, that is one thing, but well wishing is, to put it bluntly, wishing you well in the fashion they are most comfortable with, there is nothing wrong with it. If I wish you a merry christmas and you have issues with it, well, that is your problem, not mine.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.