Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Just how dumb can people be?

This morning one of my coworkers took a call on a Canon iR C3220 at a downtown government office.

The call was for "won't turn on", nothing more.

Easy enough, right? How could it possibly be anything we haven't seen 100 times before.

The customer's office was on the 6th floor, and the elevator was out of order. On his way walking up the stairs, he noticed soggy, fallen ceiling tiles all along the way. This was a warning sign to say the least.

When he got to the machine, it was all wet. The doc feeder was full of water.

Every time he opened a panel, more water poured out.

"Oh, yeah", the lady told him. "We had a water main in the ceiling burst last night. This is covered under our service contract, right?"

It was all he could do to not burst out laughing.

"Just call your insurance company, ma'am", was all he said before he walked out.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Just how dumb can people be?

Set up SMB scanning to multiple users on the server.
    Did one scan to multiple with a meter sheet showing date and time.
    Got a call-back that scanning wasn't working.
    The customer couldn't FIND the SCAN folder with all the users from her desktop, because she forgot to go to network places on her workstation.
    The scans with the date and time were still there right where I told her they were.
    Cost her another billable call for being stupid, I should have billed her double!
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

This Space For Rent 100+ Posts JimHegs's Avatar
    I told a customer who happened to be a lawyer lawyer for about three years that he should get rid of the toner left over from their old Xerox. He said it was worth way too much to throw away and I told him it was trash and he should get rid of it before someone tries to put it in his machine. We had the same conversation many times until on day when I got a call for a toner spill. I got there a few hours later to find a Mita DC-3585 with a Xerox toner cartridges crammed into the hole that the empty Mita toner cartridge came out of. It was a total mess because they managed to get the front cover closed and were able to run copies until the dust got so bad that the machine coded out. I must have had the biggest shit-eating grin of all-time on my face when I handed him a bill for about 3 hours labor and a bottle developer.